Friday, May 30, 2014

Five Setting's I'd Like To Live In

Ever since I did the top ten Tuesday post several weeks back that asked me to list ten settings I wouldn't want to live in, I've been wanting to do the flipside of that coin. So, today I am going to list five settings that I would want to live in. (Each of these selections automatically assumes that I would be in the same place as the heroes of the story - given abilities if they are common.)





Up first is Gail Carriger's Victorian era steampunk/urban fantasy world from both her Parasol Protectorate series and her Finishing School series. I must admit, I do love the world that she created and I think it would be a total blast to live in that world. Personally, I think I'd prefer the Finishing School setting slightly more, because I do love the idea of a school for assassins and spies. (I really, really wish I could have found a suitable picture of the floating academy in the Finishing School series. For pity's sake, who doesn't want to go to a school that's in a dirigible?)


Next we have the alternate history version of World War II from Scott Westerfeld's Levianthan series. In this world the British and allies are called 'Darwinists' and they derive their military might from genetically manipulating creatures and organisms. The Germans and allies are the 'Clankers' - using a much more typical steampunk mentality of turning to steam and metal to power everything.

Thanks IamHaden over at deviantart


Next is the Victorian era steampunk/superhero setting from the Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross. While it must be obvious I love the steampunk setting, this one has a bit of a twist in it. The main characters in these stories have special abilities - super speed, or being able to 'talk' to machines, or unnatural strength - that makes me think that living in this setting would be like living in a Victorian era X-Men story.


Now we have the alternate North America as seen in The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson. A North America called the United Isles - and given such catchy names as: New France, Decatur, Mexica and Marquette - and where a talented group of people can make any creatures of chalk that they draw come to life, would certainly be a very interesting place to live.

Thanks Inkthinker over at deviantart


Last but oh so not least, is the futuristic science fiction setting of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. While this probably isn't the safest world to live in, what with the deadly plague sweeping the world and the very real threat of an attack from the moon, it is none the less a very curious place. There is a Lunar colony, cyborgs mixing with normal humans on the streets - and a very good chance that true love will conquer in the end.

Thanks thehandydandynotebk over at deviantart