Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day (And Military Sci-Fi Books)


For those of you that don't know, here in the US, Memorial Day is a federal holiday that is for the remembrance of people that died while serving in our armed forces. It originated as 'Decoration Day' which was created after the American Civil War in 1868 as a day to place flowers on the graves of those that died during the war. While that was a Union holiday, eventually Union and Confederate holidays combined into what we now know as Memorial Day.

I would like to take a moment to voice my gratitude to the brave men and women, living and dead, that have served. Thank you.



I also decided that I wanted to share a few of the fictional books I've read either about the military or with character/s in the military. Then to my utter shame, I realized I've read very few.

Of these, my favorite is definitely the Confederation series by Tanya Huff. Which starts with Valor's Choice. (A military sci-fi heavy on the aliens.) I also enjoyed Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon - the rest of the series not being as good, I thought. For a more civilian look into a sci-fi military, the later books in the Earth Girl series by Janet Edwards is amazing.


I was really hoping I'd have some historical military books to add here but, while I know I've read them, they are completely escaping me at the moment.

What books with military personnel or setting have you enjoyed? Would you please leave me some suggestions? And they don't have to be just sci-fi - historical, contemporary and fantasy (seriously, I would love to find some military fantasy!) are all genre's I'd love suggestions from!
Image from here