Thursday, June 16, 2016

Birthstone Book Tag

Makes me glad I'm a Feburary girl and we only get one option.

Tag found at Spines & Covers. Images found on Google.

I'm actually not sure I love some of this links between the birthstone and the meaning/question, but it looked like a lot of fun!

January
Associated with warding off negative forces and dark energies
Name a book with the darkest/evilest character you can think of.

Fairest by Marissa Meyer
Maybe it's not exactly fair to say this, because she really struck me more 'totally batshit insane' than truly 'evil' - but Levana was the first character I thought of and everyone else paled in comparison.

February
Purple is associated with royalty
Name a book with regal qualities - you can base this off characters or choose the king of all books.

The Scarecrow King by Jill Myles
I went with this one because it has royalty in the title and I read a crazy amount of books that have royals in them. (I guess that's thanks to all the fantasy I read, but, oddly enough, I've even read books with sci-fi royalty!)

March
Washed out
Name a 'wishy washy' character, a character who is not strong or is a follower.

I know I thought of someone and said that they were this, exactly. But, now I can't remember who it was... Thankfully, I think this means that I don't often come across characters that are like this.

April
A diamond in the rough
Name a book that you loved but it is not well known.

Earth Girl by Janet Edwards
Oh, so very, very many! There are a ton of book that I love that it seems like no one else has ever read. I went with this book because I do truly love it and its sequels, and the third in the trilogy only has 8oo and something ratings at Goodreads.

May
Said to balance energy
Name two characters who balance each other well.

Trial and Temptation by Ruby Lionsdrake
Val and Gregor
Of course I'd have to pick a romance for this! I love these two characters so much and they are the reason this is my favorite book in the series so far. Val is gregarious, Gregor is socially awkward and they are so perfect for each other.

June
Associated with loyalty
Name a character who is loyal to the end.

Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines
Smudge, the fire-spider
I probably could have found a human (or equivalent) but I really, really wanted to have a fire-spider on my list. Smudge is so darn cute, loves going for car rides, spontaneously combusts when there's danger around and would do anything to protect his 'master' even risk his own, eight-legged life.

July
Blood red
Name a book that made your blood boil, one that made you angry.

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
My Goodreads 'review' says, in part: I've tried three times [to write a review] and every single time it quickly turns into three pages of grumbling, ranting and gripes.
Let me just say here, I hated the main girl, I hated the 'love interest' and the world made not a lick of sense. ... I read this book last year, and I'm actually still a little furious about it.

August
It pales in comparison to other gems
Name a supporting character who you like better than the main character.

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine
Almost everyone. (But especially Wolf.) Nothing bad about Jess, he was a surprisingly likable lead, but he was also one of my least favorites in the book. I guess I just loved everyone else too much.

September

Blue like the ocean which is calming
Name a book that had a calming affect on you.

The Swan Prince by Danielle E. Shipley
In all fairness, it would be the entirety of this series - at least that I've read. They are such comforting, easy books to read. I try talking about why I like them so much and my brain just turns to mush, because more people need to read and adore them! Anyway, highly recommended when you want something comfortable.

October

Iridescent
Name an iridescent book. This can be a book with a beautiful cover (shiny, lots of color) or you can base it off a character (quirky, colorful).

Reawakened by Colleen Houck
(As of writing this, I haven't actually read this book, though by the time this goes live, that might have changed.)
This image totally does not do the cover of this book justice. In person it is gorgeous. It's all blue and shiny and it's just one of the most lovely book covers I've come across. Seriously, if you can get a look at this book, do so!

November

Associated with resilience
Name a book with a character who rises to the top in a time of adversity.

The Comet's Curse by Dom Testa
About 80% of humanity. Seriously, reading these books make me a tiny bit less cynical. (But, honestly, most of the books I read could fit this prompt.) Most of the people is this book have banded together after a devastating plague hits earth and ... well, I don't want to spoil it.

December

Associated with friendship
Name a book with a friendship that you want to be a part of.

The Dreamer's Curse by Honor Raconteur
While there are so many friendships in books that I love, I think the one between Sevana, Sarsen and their 'Master' (whom they apprenticed to) has got to be the one that stands out. They are great people, and absolutely hilarious! I love the constant teasing and poking and prodding.
And there we go! This was a lot of fun and I totally tag anyone and everyone that's interested.