Monday, October 17, 2016

Book Inspired Costume Ideas (Mostly For Girls/Women & Mostly Easy)


I always promise myself I'm going to do something spectacular for Halloween - which happens to be my favorite holiday - but I never have. So, while this might not be 'spectacular' I've got the first post of a three part series today. Parts two and three will be coming out the next two Mondays.

So, what better place to start than with costumes? I've always loved the idea of dressing up and being someone else for a day, and where could I find more inspiration for costumes than in a book?

Scarlet Benoit - Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Scarlet would be a pretty easy costume to throw together. I mean, if you've got red hair, you've got the hard stuff covered. (If not, you'll need hair dye or a wig!)


A simple red hoodie and a pair of jeans comprises the bulk of the costume. And a comfortable pair of Converse complete it.

You could add a few accessories, but remember to keep it simple. Scarlet is a farm girl and wouldn't be the sort to get too caught up in looks anyway.




Lilac LaRoux - These Broken Stars by Spooner & Kaufman

If you want a more traditionally feminine look for Halloween - and either already have a nice green dress or need one anyway - I can't imagine doing better than this. (If you're creative, you could even sew your own!)

















I'd finish off the look with some glittery makeup, perhaps artistically smeared to look a few days old, and hair, if long, tied back into a messy ponytail.

The combined look of a fancy dress with obvious found military boots and jacket would be quite a contradiction. And make a great conversation starter with you being able to explain the book the outfit came from. (Or just smile mysteriously as I'm sure Lilac would do!)









Amelia Peabody Emerson from The Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
I, of course, knew 'Peabody' would have to be here because, ever since my first foray into these books, I've love her style of dressing. And it's one of the few book outfits I'd actually give a go sometime.
Finish off the ensemble with a pair of trousers tucked into the boots, a sturdy parasol and a belt with dozens of historical things (flint, flask, pistol) hanging from it and you are all ready to be the preeminent lady archeologist of the 19th century.





Now I'm not going to actually pretend these next costumed were inspired by any certain book - but they were inspired by the steampunk genre as a whole. Really, if you want more ideas, you can start out by Googling either steampunk clothes or steampunk costumes. Some come as premade costumes, others can be put together with a couple of focal pieces.























I hope something here has sparked ideas - because it sure has mine. Now I just need to see what I can toss together last minute for a steampunk costume...