Thursday, October 13, 2016

(Series Review) Flash Gold Chronicles by Lindsay Buroker


First in series FREE on Amazon!

Honestly, I think I'd read anything this author would write, and probably love it. However, this series of novella's hit all the notes for me.


Flash Gold by Lindsay Buroker
Series: Flash Gold Chronicles
Genre: Steampunk
Add on Goodreads

Eighteen-year-old Kali McAlister enters her steam-powered "dogless sled" in a race, intending to win the thousand-dollar prize and escape remote Moose Hollow forever. The problem? Fortune seekers and airship pirates are after her for the secret to flash gold, her late father's alchemical masterpiece. 

With her modified rifle and a pocketful of home-made smoke bombs, Kali wouldn't normally hide from a confrontation, but taking on a whole airship single-handedly is a daunting task. Unfortunately, the other racers won't assist her--they're too busy scheming ways to sabotage her unorthodox sled.

When a sword-slinging stranger shows up, wanting to hire on as her protector, she's sure he has ulterior motives, but he's the only one interested in helping her. The question is...why? (synopsis from first in series)

Series link on Goodreads

The setting of this story is one of the most unique I've seen. It takes place during the Yukon gold rush, but with steampunk elements. Which is just awesome! I love it because, while I'm a HUGE fan of steampunk, I've never see a steampunk story that is based in this setting.

The two main characters in this story are Kali and Cedar. To be entirely honest, I love them both.

Kali is brave and determined to get out of this small town and see the world - preferably from her very own airship. She's a genius when it comes to fixing and inventing mechanical things - which is how she's been making most of her money.

Cedar is an enigma to start with - and I don't want to give away spoilers! So, all I will say is that he is a wonderful character. His sense of humor complements Kali's perfectly and they work amazingly well together.

If I'm being honest, I think that's why this series works so well for me. We do have action and adventure and hair-raising escapades - but the story is really about these two characters going from suspicious co-workers to trusting friends to... Well, it is a Lindsay Buroker series - and I've yet to read one that doesn't have romance!

Each book in the series has it's own story, but with a couple of overarching plot-threads to tie it all together. For example, Kali's desire to leave and her struggle to do just that as well as Cedar's past and why he's doing what he's doing.



So, I do love this series and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that's looking for a little different steampunk, adventure and/or some light romance. Besides, the first novella is FREE on Amazon, so what have you got to loose? In fact, here's a link. Go, read it!