Friday, January 20, 2017

The Ultimate Harry Potter Tag

So…if you remember what I said before, upon finishing the books - finally - you're probably wondering why someone who didn't love the series is doing this tag. Well, the fact is, I have very complicated feelings about this series even now . And I wanted to answer some of these questions.

(Prepare yourself for some not-fangirl answers.)

#1 Favorite Book?
The Half-Blood Prince. Honestly, that book missed by a hairsbreadth of getting five stars from me. I just loved it and everything about it.

#2 Least Favorite Book?
The Deathly Hallows. I don't think I've ever read a book that was so incredibly boring before in my life. Followed closely by The Order of the Phoenix because of the teen angst and a Harry that didn't want to do anything.

#3 Favorite Movie?
Either The Chamber of Secrets or The Prisoner of Azkaban. … Or The Goblet of Fire. Probably The Chamber of Secrets though.

#4 Least Favorite Movie?
Okay, bear in mind that I've not yet seen The Deathly Hallows part 2 - and I do want to say part 1 because it did kind of suck in my opinion. But, to me, it didn't really suck any more than the book. What I'm trying to say, in my own way, is that the movie stayed true to the book. Unlike The Half-Blood Prince whose movie was just rubbish,

#5 Favorite Quote?
I don't actually have one. Maybe because I didn't find any of them particularly memorable.

#6 Favorite Weasley?
I know I'm going to have a really, really unpopular opinion here, but… Percy. I got kind of a kick out of him early on, I'll admit, but later in the books, I can't help but think he really came into his own. He did what he thought was right, regardless of what his family said and that had to have taken a lot of courage. Even though he was wrong, and when he realized that, he admitted it. So, I like him.

#7 Favorite Female Character?
I think everyone'll say Hermione and I'm really no different. I liked some of the others, but I think the story lacks in the likable girls department. (Though, honestly, I did like Fleur an awful lot too.)

#8 Favorite Villain?
Voldemort. I'm honestly fascinated by the character and one of the few HP sequels/spinoffs I'd be interested in reading is one about Tom Riddle. Either his time at Hogwarts or how he became Voldemort. I'm really not fussy.

#9 Favorite Male Character?
Draco. I'm not going to explain this any further than to say I've always liked characters like that. Also, I'm quite interested in the whole Malfoy family and would love a story about them - Draco or Narcissa specifically.

#10 Favorite Professor?
Lupin. Or McGonagall because she's awesome.

#11 Would you rather: wash Snape's hair OR spend a day listening to Lockhart rant about himself?
Am I really the only one that thought Lockhart was funny? Because I honestly got a kick out of the guy. A whole day might be pushing it a little, but I'd totally listen to him.

#12 Would you rather: duel an elated Bellatrix OR an angry Molly?
To me, Molly's really not that frightening. I mean, she has one moment that she's more than just a 'hockey mom' (because I'm serious, I'm starting to think that's the perfect definition of her) meanwhile Bellatrix has I'm creepy and I'm conniving and I know it down. So, Molly.

#13 Would you rather: Travel to Hogwarts using the Hogwarts Express OR a flying car?
The flying car. A flying car is only one step down in the awesomeness scale from a self-driving car.

#14 Would you rather: give Voldemort a kiss OR Umbridge a bubble bath?
Whichever I choose, is my life guaranteed to be, you know, not ended? Because if I knew he wouldn't kill me, I'd say kiss Voldemort. (Seriously, all the pink and fluff around Umbridge would give me hives.)

#15 Would you rather: fly a hippogriff OR a Firebolt?
I've never been able to figure out how someone rides on a broom. I mean, I've seen it, but it looks either physically impossible or painful. On the other hand, I think I'd do just fine in a flying car, but an actual flying animal…Heights and I don't usually mesh…Uhhm. I'm gonna take the Firebolt. At least it I'm in control of.

#16 Is there a character you felt differently about in the movies?
Sirius. I grew to kind of strongly dislike him in the books. And, if it's at all possible, I liked Harry even less in the books than I did the movies.

#17 Is there a movie you preferred to the book?
The Goblet of Fire. The movie was so much better than the book. It still had flaws, but at least they were lessened by the entertainment of things like dragons. The Prisoner of Azkaban, too, because there were some moments that just translated better into film. The Order of the Phoenix, also, because the book was blerg and at least I didn't have to spend the entire movie inside Harry's head. Probably The Deathly Hallows once I see part 2, because at least it's shorter than the book.

#18 Richard Harris or Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?
Is it bad that, until I heard people talking about it, I didn't even know they changed actors? And then I thought it happened later than it did. So, obviously, don't care.

#19 Your top thing that you wanted in the movie that wasn't there?
About 90% of The Half-Blood Prince because that movie was a nonsensical hatchet job. Besides that, there's a scene late in The Deathly Hallows that, if it's not in the movie, I'm going to be pissed because it was the best thing about the book.

#20 If you could remake any of the Harry Potter movies, which would it be?
I'd love to say The Half-Blood Prince, but I'm really not sure that, given the runtime, anyone could make the movie actually do the book justice. (You know, it's funny, before I read the books, I used to say this was my second favorite of the movies. So it's not a bad movie, it's just a terrible adaptation.)

#21 Which house was your first gut feeling that you'd be a part of?
Ravenclaw. We're talking about back when I first saw The Chamber of Secrets on TV, many, many years ago.

#22 Which house were you actually sorted into on Pottermore?
So I made an account just to take that quiz and, much to no one's surprise, I was sorted into Slytherin. Seriously, that's exactly the one I'd say nowadays that I'd be in. At least I feel quite pleased that I know myself so well.

#23 Which class would be your favorite?
This is the science nerd in me coming out but, Potions. I've loved chemistry and been fascinated by things like alchemy, so Potions would be right up my alley.

#24 What spell do you think would be most useful to learn?
Lumos. No more need for a flashlight!

#25 Which character do you think you'd instantly become friends with?
Uh…Yeah. I'm not one for the whole 'instant' friend thing because I'm not what one would call outgoing - so probably whoever grabbed me and wasn't totally insufferable.

#26 If you could own one of the three Hallows, which would it be?
I don't want any of them. I've learnt. I think they're all more trouble than they're worth. (But, seriously, who doesn't want the most powerful wand ever?)

#27 Is there any aspect of the books you'd want to change?
Oh boy. Harry. Just in general. Also, I'd love the series to be told from more than just his perspective. It would be killer if The Deathly Hallows was at least partially told from someone like Luna or Neville's perspective. Someone, at least, that's closer to the action.

#28 Favorite Marauder?
Remus. I liked him right from the start and at least he wasn't as much of a jackass as the others.

#29 If you could bring one character back to life, which would it be?
Well…there was only one death that hit me particularly hard at all, so…if I go with that, I'd say Dobby. Seriously. The little elf's death got the most emotion from me. Though I deeply, deeply miss Remus and Tonks.

#30 Hallows or Horcruxes?
For what? For me? Neither. Though I find myself somewhat interested in how Horcruxes are made. *shrugs*


So…I actually had a bit of fun with this - and it gave me a chance to put some of my thoughts down about the series. If you're interested in this, and haven't done it yet, I totally tag you.