Friday, January 17, 2014

Book Covers that Made Me Go 'Ooh, what's that about?' (2014 only)

AKA: My 8 Favorite Book Covers from 2014

There are just too many gorgeous covers out there for books getting released this year for me to ignore them. While I don't often buy books as soon as they're released, that doesn't have to stop me for clicking on the books thanks to the snazzy covers.


#8
Reason: Okay, might not be on many lists like this, but it's got such a cute dog on the cover that I cannot resist it. Really, it reminds me a little of one of my dogs, Axel.

Synopsis: Victoria Secord, a 14-year-old Alaskan dogsled racer, loses her way on a routine outing with her dogs. With food gone and temperatures dropping, her survival, and that of her dogs and the mysterious boy she meets in the woods, is entirely up to her.

Find it on Goodreads







#7
Reason: Honestly, I think it's because of the font used and the building. I like the contrast and I like how it's pretty much white, brown and red.

Synopsis: Not every fairytale has a happy ending.
This is the story of a princess who became a villain.

A Father’s Betrayal. A Kingdom with a Black Secret. A Princess Slowly Unraveling. 

As Princess of Wonderland Palace and the future Queen of Hearts, Dinah’s days are an endless monotony of tea, tarts, and a stream of vicious humiliations at the hands of her father, the King of Hearts. The only highlight of her days is visiting Wardley, her childhood best friend, the future Knave of Hearts — and the love of her life.

Find it on Goodreads



#6
Reason: When I first saw this cover, having no idea what the book was about, I had to click on it. I love the colors used and the stylistic effects used on the character.

Synopsis: Alyssa Gardner has been down the rabbit hole and faced the bandersnatch. She saved the life of Jeb, the guy she loves, and escaped the machinations of the disturbingly seductive Morpheus and the vindictive Queen Red. Now all she has to do is graduate high school and make it through prom so she can attend the prestigious art school in London she's always dreamed of.

That would be easier without her mother, freshly released from an asylum, acting overly protective and suspicious. And it would be much simpler if the mysterious Morpheus didn't show up for school one day to tempt her with another dangerous quest in the dark, challenging Wonderland—where she (partly) belongs.
Find it on Goodreads


#5
Reason: Besides the ominous look of - well, pretty much everything, I love the concept.

Synopsis: When Ileni lost her magic, she lost everything: her place in society, her purpose in life, and the man she had expected to spend her life with. So when the Elders sent her to be magic tutor to a secret sect of assassins, she went willingly, even though the last two tutors had died under mysterious circumstances.

Find it on Goodreads







#4
Reason: Oh, how it looks like the movies I watch. It just looks really awesome - especially the dragon and the...castle(?).

Synopsis: Cantor D'Ahma waited his whole life for this day. Born with a gift to jump between worlds, the young realm walker is finally ready to leave his elderly mentor and accept his role as protector and defender of the realms. But mere hours after he steps through his first portal, Cantor discovers that his job will be more dangerous and difficult than he ever imagined. The realms are plagued with crime and cruelty, and even members of the once-noble Realm Walkers Guild can no longer be trusted. To make matters worse, his first assignment---finding a dragon to assist him on his quest---has led him to Bridger, who is clearly inept and won't leave him alone.

Find it on Goodreads
(Seriously, I think I want this book.)


#3
Reason: Before I blew the picture up, I thought it was sheer fabric that the girl left behind. Realizing that it was a rose made it even cooler. An I love spiral staircases.

Synopsis: Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

Find it on Goodreads
(Okay, this book too, please.)





#2
Reason: It's just so incredibly atmospheric. I love the bridge and the skyline. I love the dress. I love the girls hair. Honestly, I also love the fact you can't see her face.

Synopsis: Months have passed since Juliet Moreau returned to civilization after escaping her father's island—and the secrets she left behind. Now, back in London once more, she is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget Dr. Moreau’s horrific legacy—though someone, or something, hasn’t forgotten her.

Find it on Goodreads







And now, my favorite book cover (at least so far) of 2014 (bet you didn't see this one coming).

Reason: The lightning. The castle. The arches. The other fortress in the background - that looks like it's on fire. The bird eggs/round white stones, that I first thought were skulls... I love fantasy books, and I love the art that comes with them.

Synopsis: Their journey to Merakh should have made Errol and his companions heroes of the realm. Instead, much is changed on their return. In the wake of the king’s death, Duke Weir is ruling the country–and his intentions are to marry Adora to bring an heir.

With Errol and the others imprisoned and the identity of the rightful heir to the throne still hidden in secrecy, Illustra is on the verge of civil war–and at growing risk from the armies of Merakh and Morgol.

Find it on Goodreads
(Ooh, I read about the first book in this trilogy. Ooh, ooh, ooh.)



So, there you go - my pick for book covers of the year. Of course, that's all subject to change once more books to be released this year get their covers. But, I think all these covers are great and, while not all of them seem to be about things that appeal to me, at least half the battle was won when I clicked on the books to see what they're about.

What do you think? Any of these book covers catch your interest? If you've got a post like this on your blog, feel free to send me the link in the comments.