I must say, I love the questions this week.
All other things (writing quality, story, etc), which would you rather read?
1. Something written by a man or a woman?
I really don't care. I've read great books by both genders and horrible books by both genders. So, if everything is equal in quality, it doesn't matter to me at all what gender the writer is.
2. Something with a male or female protagonist?
I'm not really that fussy. I guess, right now, I'd have to say a male protagonist. It seems like I just don't read as many of them as I used to.
3. Something funny or something tragic?
Something funny. I much prefer a small dose of understated humor in my stories - unless the writer completely gets my sense of humor - over tragedy.
4. Something short or something long with many parts?
Long. I like the added time to get to know the characters.
5. Something simple or something layered?
Layered. I like continuing stories that always challenge what you know about the people and if there are a few Xanatos Gambits thrown in for good measure, all the better.