Friday, December 18, 2015

I Judge Books By Their Cover - and I Don't Think It's A Bad Thing

You always hear that idiom of 'don't judge a book by it's cover,' right? Well, I'm here to tell you why I do judge books by their cover - just not like that!

One of my favorite things to do when I have extra time is to go through my Goodreads recommendations. Yeah, more often than not, I don't find much. But it's something that I enjoy doing and I have found some great books that way.

Also, I love seeing what the bloggers I follow are reviewing - so it's great when they have the book cover as the little post thumbnail in bloglovin.

A lot of times I can tell, just by looking at a book cover, if it's something I would personally like. It does get confusing sometimes - and I can guess that I've missed out on a book I would have loved because it looked like something else - but this sort of 'scanning' of book covers is also super helpful.

Books of different genres have different style covers. It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a light-hearted fantasy and a gritty contemporary.

For example…


One of these probably catches your interest more than the other. And that's great! (And that doesn't mean you wouldn't want to read both of them, but there's a time and place, right?) But, if you look into one of the books and not the other, or neither of them or, even, both of them, you've already judged a book by its cover.

Just by looking at the cover, I get an idea about what the book is, so then I have a jumping off point to know if I want to know more about the book.

Imagine if all book covers looked the same - simple white letters on a solid black background. Besides being unexciting - and quite uninviting - it would also make the process of pick out a book more difficult.

So, I totally don't see anything wrong with judging a book by it's cover, and I totally do this every time I get interested in a new book. Do you?