Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Take Five: Series For YOU to Read This Winter

That's right, Take Five is back! After a long, extended absence of this feature, it came back. (Love to say it's here to stay, but, really, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it vanished for another few months.)

So, this is Tuesday and I'm skipping the Top Ten Tuesday linkup. Why? Because it's a 'what books do you want Santa to leave you' prompt and I don't celebrate Christmas - which means this list would just be a list of the next ten books I want to buy. Just seems kind of boring to me.

Instead, I decided to suggest to YOU some books to read this winter. That's right! These aren't the books I'm going to read, but the ones I think you should. These are some of my favorite series, and all long enough to keep you for a few snow days, anyhow. After all, the days are short and quite possibly cold - what better time to nestle down with a blanket, a cup of tea and a stack of books?

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
The fairytale retelling containing a cyborg Cinderella and four damsels that are certainly not in distress.



Haven't started this series yet? Well, with the release of Winter early last month, now's the perfect time to read the series in it's entirety.

The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger
Vampires and werewolves and steampunk, oh my! All wrapped up with a witty, dry humor.



And once you finish this series, you'll have another completed one waiting for you and the first book of a third, all set in the same gorgeous world. (Finishing School and The Custard Protocol, respectively.)

The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan
'They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.' Fantasy with epic characters!


Love this series so much! And, once you finish this series, you could start in on the three books (so far) that are the prequels. (The Riyria Chronicles, by name.)

Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters
Egyptologist and super-sleuth (Indiana Jones has nothing on her!) Amelia Peabody and her ever growing family in the late 1800's.



I love this series so much - it's the only mysteries I even reread any more - and at almost 20 books, it should keep you for a while.

The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker
Fantasy set during an industrial era in a world going through growing pangs. Mission: save the Emperor. And clear their names.



One of my favorite authors, and this is a great starting point for her books - books that are full of humor and endearing characters. (And, while the main story is over, there's supplemental stories being added yet.)

There you have five series that I love and would totally recommend to you. If they sound interesting, give them a look. I'm always looking for more awesome books, so any and all suggestions are welcome - especially if they're anything like these.)

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what it says about me that you can use me as a litmus test for what NOT to read (sorry about The Thief btw! The second book is more of a love story and him dealing with how to deal with his new position. And I think the pov might be the queen in this one? I can't remember so take that as you will) but all your books all look like great fun to me haha! (Does this mean I'm easy? I'm pretty sure I'm easy). Ah well, more books for me to go read so I'm a for that! The Riyria series looks especially promising :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told I'm impossible to please. *cough* And I'm pretty sure they're right. I tend to prefer fun books, while so many other people I talk to about books like the ones with lots of emotional drama. (For example, nearly every review I read about The Thief said that the second half was better than the first, while my opinion was just the opposite.) Besides, I have loved some books that you do as well. Though, oddly enough, the only ones I'm thinking of that are fantasy are Tamora Pierces books. (It seems that we're more likely to agree on a book if it's not fantasy.) Yes, read the Riyria books. Honestly, I love these books and it's my favorite fantasy series ever.

      Delete
  2. I've read (or at least started) 3 of these series and am enjoying them so I may just have to check the other two out, you haven't steered me wrong yet. I've never even heard of Amelia Peabody but those mysteries seem like the right kind of fun read for me to get from the library so I may check those out and Riyria Revelations looks awesome. I always like new fantasy recs so some more things for me to keep a look out for. Yay, new books to add to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! If you can get any of the Amelia Peabody mysteries from the library, I say go for it! They do follow a group of people that age and change (and there's always more being added) but you don't HAVE to read them in order to understand them. I think I started with number 6 or 7 and LOVED it. The Riyria Revelations ARE awesome. They're my favorite fantasy books and I really hope you get a chance to read them. I really hope you like both series when you get to them!

      Delete