Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Top Ten Favorite Sci-Fi Books

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

So, when I saw the topic for today my first thought was fantasy. But then I go...meh. Now, fantasy's great and I'll always love it but I've been expanding my horizons lately. Then I thought steampunk. Then I remembered that I did a 'syllabus' for steampunk last year and I wanted to do something different.

Then I realized science fiction. The fact is that, lately, I have been on this huge sci-fi kick and as a genre, I love it. These are my ten favorites (if they're part of a series, I went with the first one).




Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff
Sub-Genre: Space Opera & Military

This book is simply everything I ever wanted in sci-fi. I truly love everything about this book. The main character is such a treat to read about, and the supporting cast in the series (it changes per book, but don't let that put you off) are some of my favorite characters.




Earth Girl by Janet Edwards
Sub-Genre: Dystopia

I love this series so much! Honestly, it's such a wonderful book and it's so awesome seeing the characters grow over the series.






Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis
Sub-Genre: Romance & Retelling

This book's got a very strong backdrop before you even add in the fairytale elements. Not to mention Snow and Dane are one of my favorite pairs.





Trial and Temptation by Ruby Lionsdrake
Sub-Genre: Romance & Adult

While this is part of a series, it's actually a series of standalone romances and this one is certainly my favorite to date because I love (and I mean LOVE) the couple we follow this time around.





The Comet's Curse by Dom Testa
Sub-Genre: Space Travel (?)

I've not quite finished this series yet, but I'm getting close. I love what a hope-filled sci-fi series this is, even though it get's kicked off by a real tragedy.





Timebound by Rysa Walker
Sub-Genre: Time Travel

I love time travel stories, I've just not found a lot that grab me. This one, though, is a really compelling tale - and, perhaps more unusual, a lot of thought has been put into the time travel and, while it is still totally confusing, you can figure it out if you think long enough.




V Is For Villain by Peter Moore
Sub-Genre: Superhero

Is it bad that I can't actually remember why I liked this book so much? I mean, I only read it last December and the only note at Goodreads says 'Sequel?' It's bad that I can't remember, isn't it. Anyway, I did adore this book when I read it.




The Inventor's Secret by Chad Morris
Sub-Genre: Near Future

I love the cool science creations in this book. And the characters are great. Honestly, there's nothing about this book - or series - that I don't adore. So there is that.





The Dark Realm by Anthea Sharp
Sub-Genre: Virtual Reality & Retelling

I've always loved virtual reality and the idea that you could get literally sucked into a game. Unfortunately, this is one of the few times I've seen it done so well. (Bonus: The love interest is one of the nicest, sweetest guys, ever!)




Starbridge by A.C. Crispin
Sub-Genre: Space Opera & First Contact

This book presented a great first contact event and a species that was very different from humans. And, in fact, the only reason I didn't love this book is because of the romance that was very, very blerg.





So, if I was to recommend sci-fi, there's the stack of books you'd get. If you'd leave me some sci-fi recommendations, I'd love you forever in a totally non-stalker way. Or just tell me what your favorite sci-fi books are! Also, what sort of list did you do today?