Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Top Ten Series I Have Yet To Finish

Hosted here.

Top Ten Series I Have Yet To Finish


This week was a 'rewind' week, where we look back over the previous topics and choose one. I narrowed this down to three choices quite easily, but then I started having some problems. What to pick, what to pick. Finally, I jumped aboard with this one. So here we go. (Roughly in order of my least favorite to my favorite.)

10) The Lord of the Rings Series by J.R.R. Tolkien
Even though I loved the movies and fantasy is my genre, I met the first book in this series with a 'meh' response. I do plan on reading the rest - if only to say I have.

9) Study Series by Maria V. Snyder
I found the first book to be good, but not great, and have put off buying any more in the series because of all the people that thought the first book was the best in the series.

8) Magnificent Devices Series by Shelley Adina
While I do love this series, I'm beginning to wish the books would finally wrap up - or at least the romance that it getting dragged out nearly endlessly would be resolved.

7) Finishing School Series by Gail Carriger
I've read and enjoyed the first two in this series and am just waiting for the third one that releases at the end of this year.

6) Tales of the Ketty Jay Series by Chris Wooding
Although we got off to a bumpy start, I wound up really enjoying the first book in the series and am excited to see what happens next.

5) The Emperor's Edge Series by Lindsay Buroker
I've only read the first one, but it was such a fun book that I'm really looking forward to the next one. And it's not like I was infatuated with an assassin or anything.

4) The Rithmatist Series by Brandon Sanderson
Bought the book. Loved the book. Realized that the second in the series doesn't release until 2015. Felt like I was going to die.

3) Ice Age Cycle Series by Jeff Grubb
Although I loved, seriously loved, the first two books in the series, the third and final is so ridiculously expensive - as it is out of print - that I haven't gotten to read it yet. 

2) Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas
The first book in this series was so awesome and I am really, really looking forward to clearing a couple more books from my shelf so I can read the second one.

1) The Riyria Revelations Series by Michael J. Sullivan
I love this series. Right from the first book (Crown Conspiracy) I knew I was on to something great. For me, this is exactly what I love in my fantasy novels. We've got a pair of wonderful Heterosexual Life Partners in Hadrian and Royce, lots of sword fights and battle scenes and an eclectic cast of secondary characters.

This was really fun to put together and it made me realize that I still have quite a few series to finish.

18 comments:

  1. I haven't finished several of these series either I think I am going to try The Rithamist next and Throne of Glass is amazing.
    Here's my TTT on kickass heroines: Rimsha@Ramblings of a Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked The Rithmatist, thought it was a really fun book. I hope you like it. I seriously can hardly wait to get to the second in the Throne of Glass series and all the good things I'm hearing isn't encouraging me to wait patiently. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I'm kinda glad I missed this topic the first time around, there's no way I would've been able to come up with 10 series I haven't finished yet. I started to read The Lord of the Rings when I was a lot younger but I very quickly lost interest! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've probably still got another five to ten series that I've not finished yet - course I'm kind of bad about finishing a series unless I love it. Yeah, LotR is something that I'm not all that interested in, but I can just see the looks when someone finds out I'm a fan of fantasy books but I've not read the entire series. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I've heard of many of these series, but not read any of them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on them. I think it's tough to stick with a series if you feel the author is dragging it out.

    Thanks for visiting The Book Connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and sometimes the author starts dragging a series so much that I effectively loose interest. That's one reason why I don't get involved in those series that run for several dozen books. In fact, I've got a series on this list that is starting to feel as though the author is dragging it out. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Great pick. I have a serious problem with starting series and never finishing them - especially if there is a long wait between books. Nice list :) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I do exactly the same thing - that is, if I actually start the book before the entire series has been released. Of course, then there are those series that I just loved and impatiently wait for the next in the series. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Agree with the Study series, I liked the first book alright but was not a fan of the second and stopped following it. Awesome list, I've definitely added the Emperor's Edge and Rithmatist series to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually not sure if I'll ever get around to the second in the Study series - there's just too many other books that sound more appealing to me. I hope you like Emperor's Edge and The Rithmatist series, I know that so far I have. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, Poison Study was definitely the best book in the series. I have the first two books, but I didn't even realize I never read the third book until recently. I remedied that immediately, but it just didn't have the same spark as the first book. And according to Goodreads, Maria V. Snyder is actually planning to continue the series with three more books? I don't know how I feel about that.

    And YES @ Riyria Revelations! It's a long read with six books (+ the prequels), but it's definitely worth it. I already read the series twice. :x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Poison Study was a good book, but it didn't really grab me. Considering that you're not the first person I've heard say it was the best book of the series...I just don't have much interest to continue the series. I'd heard that about continuing the series and, while everyone around me was practically squealing, I was indifferent.

      I love Riyria Revelations. I just finished the fifth book in the series and I'm sure I won't be able to wait long to read the finale. As soon as I finish it I will be reading the prequels, I'm sure. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I have not heard of quite a few of these series, so I am about to have to head on over to Goodreads and look them up! I am really bad about starting a series and not continuing if I wasn't thrilled with the first one, though it bothers me not to finish a series, too...it's quite a predicament!

    -Tiffany
    Beneath the Jacket Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. A book has to be pretty bad for me to actually say 'that's it, I'm not reading any more of this series'. What usually happens is I just sort of float away from the series, always knowing in the back of my mind that I really should finish it. I hope you find something that catches your attention and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. I have not heard of these series save for LOTR. I think i'm going to check out a couple of them :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find something you're interested it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I keep meaning to read the Throne of Glass series.. I just never seem to get around to it. Thanks for visitng my blog! You have a great list this week!

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the first book is any indication, I highly recommend it - though I can also totally understand how other books come first. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete