Tuesday, April 8, 2014

TTT: Unique

Hosted here.


Top Ten Most Unique Books I've Read


Not exactly the easiest top ten list for me. Oddly, after thinking about this a lot, I've started to think that most of my books are kind of the same. Anyway, I'll give it a go.

This was actually the first book that came to my mind when I read this prompt. The setting is very unique for books - being a rather cyberpunk Beijing. And, the titular character is very much a cyborg. Not just in name only, like so many books seem to want to do.

For everyone that's read this book, I don't need to explain why it's unique. I will not explain why it's unique to anyone that hasn't read it. I will say, it is because of this uniqueness that this is my least favorite Christie novel ever.

I won't go into my thoughts on this book - which are currently all over the place - but I will say that I have never read another book: about gargoyles, set in historical Paris, that blends paranormal with mundane the way this one does.

This is mostly because of its setting and genre. I have never read another book that is steampunk yet takes place in another world. Seriously, this was a world created in whole cloth from a new setting.

Okay, this is cheating a little, because, how unique could they really be if I can put them together? However, in all the reading I've done, these are the only main characters that have this narration voice. Until reading the books with Alexia, I thought Amelia was the only one, but I say, as there is still so few like this, they are still unique.

Once again, the world is so unique. Instead of being a fantasy setting or a straight-up earth setting, this book takes place on a near earth-type world where, instead of large countries, everything is islands. Instead of the United States, we get something like 'the United Islands'. And the magic system - after all, this is Brandon Sanderson here.

I was actually first exposed to this series of mystery novels thanks to a movie they made from one of them. Anyway, these are adult mystery novels (with language, violence and innuendo increasing as the series progresses) but some of the man characters in these stories are animals that talk to each other. Make of that what you will, but I've never come across anything else like that.

I won't go into details, but the ending. The ending was unique in the way everything was resolved. I've never seen an ending like this before or since. Of course, the ending made me hate the series, so that it doubtlessly a good thing - but it is also unique.

1: .............
Uh, sorry, I cannot think of a tenth. Oh well, I managed to get more on here than I thought I would.

So, what are your unique reads? Ever read any books that were like mine?