Wednesday, November 9, 2016

T5W - We Used to Be Friends

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on goodreads that you can find here. Every week - or less for some of us ;) - the members get together and post five books that pertain to a specific topic.

The topic this week is 'characters you used to love but don't any more' and I totally couldn't resist that title.


Gideon Oliver
from Gideon Oliver series
by Aaron Elkins

Years ago, I owned a handful of used, battered copies of some of the later books in this mystery series and they were some of my favorites and I thought Gideon was kind of awesome. Then I bought the first two books and read them and loathed the guy. He's a pompous sexist pig. I do wonder if his character changed that much, or if this was a case of seeing what I never did before.


Celaena Sardothien
from Throne of Glass series
by Sarah J. Maas

I don't even want to go into how much I loved this girl in the first book, because I seriously thought she was the coolest girl ever and I had such a crush on her. Then book two came and I spent so much of it wanting to kick her ass for her doing nothing but burying her head in the sand and pretending that if she can't see the crap that's going on that it's not happening. (Don't even try to convince me to read more of this series because I will not.)

Sirius Black
from Harry Potter series
by J.K. Rowling

When I first met Sirius (in the movies and the books) I thought he was awesome. I'll always remember his 'you can tell a lot about a man by how he treats those below him' quote. Sadly, while he talked a good talk, he never backed it up with actions - anyone else remember how he acted towards Kreacher? - and I certainly didn't like what I learnt about him because of it.


Jack Dandy
from Steampunk Chronicles series
by Kady Cross

Okay, so I was more than a little in love with him through most of the series, but when it came time from his story and his romance... He turned into a controlling, domineering, slightly skeevy, teen 'bad boy'. I hate those types of guys and it just totally sucks that this is the direction the author thought was appropriate.



Zayne Beckett
from Ladies of Distinction series
by Jen Turano

I loved this guy for his playful personality, his exuberance for life and general lighthearted outlook. And also for the fact that he was very good friends in the first three books with the woman he was to get paired with in the fourth. Well, between the end of the third book and the beginning of the fourth, his personality did a complete one-eighty and he turned into stoic and repressed and sort of angry at the world - just like the other three love interests. (And, seriously, this author can write nothing else.)


I've got quite an eclectic list here this week. I'm surprised at some of these characters because, until I started going through my books, I'd forgotten about some of them. What do you think?