Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Movies

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

When I first saw the topic for today, I was so excited. I love my movies like I love my books. And then I realized that I really don't have a list of all time favorite movies. I used to but I either got sick of them or my taste changed a bit. Not drastically, or anything, but enough that if I saw them now, they wouldn't be my favorites.

Instead, I decided to make this a list of movies that I've seen for the first time in the last three or so years that are my 'new' favorites. Not really in order, but I'm more likely to gush like an obsessive fangirl over those at the top of the list than those at the bottom. Because I am more of an obsessive fangirl for those at the top than those at the bottom.




Quite possibly my current favorite movie. I've already seen it twice and am beyond excited for the sequel. I mean, I love Marvel but you give them the chance to play in sci-fi and it's awesome.



I don't know why it took me so long to watch this movie. I was kind of interested in it right from the start and eventually I bought it when I found it pretty cheap - but then it sat on my shelf for ages, growing dust before I watched it. And I love the movie and I love the music. Seriously, the first time I ever bought a movie soundtrack.



It actually surprised me how much I liked this movie. I didn't really think I would because it just sounded so odd (but, I should have known better, because I love odd movies) and I think it might be my second favorite superhero movie. I love how it's kind of a superhero heist movie, too, so that's awesome.


Okay, I heard horrible things about this movie - which is why I owned it on DVD for probably two years before I ever watched it. But this movie was so much fun and exactly my kind of superhero movie. Of course, you'll need to bear in mind that A) I'm not a DC fan. Occasionally they do something I like, but I'm Marvel, through and through. And B) I've never read the Green Lantern comics so this might be totally not canon. (And it's Ryan Reynolds and I don't believe I've ever disliked him in anything I've seen him in.)









This might be cheating a bit, because it seems like I watched at least part of this movie over a decade ago when they used to air Disney movies on TV every weekend, but I remembered pretty much nothing about it. And, honestly, it just became my favorite Disney animated movie. Because Mulan is the most awesome heroine ever. And the music. (And it's so much better than the second one.)











This is a movie that took me forever to watch because - as much as I like retellings - it just didn't sound like my kind of story. Also, I've never been a fan of Rapunzel. But, the movie was awesome. I didn't expect the depth the characters actually had and I can't remember the last time I laughed at a character as much as I did Maximus. Because, let me tell you, that horse is awesome.


This movie is cheesy and campy and I'm totally not embarrassed in the slightest that I liked it as much as I did because it is just too much fun. And, can I just say, that the world would be a much happier place if it was acceptable to break into song and dance at random intervals. Totally.



In truth, it could have either been this one or First Class, but I think I like this one a bit more. I'm actually really impressed with the younger generation here and I'm definitely excited for the start of their trilogy. Even Scott was almost tolerable. And we get to see Nightcrawler, who I adore. I'm not totally thrilled with the changes to the Apocalypse story from what I know, but it was handled really well.








There we have ten (actually, eight, but shh) movies that I've seen recently that are definitely on my list of current favorites. I have a few more Marvel movies to catch up with, otherwise they'd probably be here, too.

Love to hear what you think of my movies and what some of your favorites are!