Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Mini-Review: Percepliquis by Michael J. Sullivan

Percepliquis by Michael J. Sullivan
Series: Riyria Revelations #6
Published by Ridan
Pages: 568
Genre: Fantasy
Add on Goodreads


"I saw a great journey. Ten upon the road, she who wears the light will lead the way. The road goes deep into the earth, and into despair. The voices of the dead guide your steps. You walk back in time. The three-thousand-year battle begins again. Cold grips the world, death comes to all, and a choice is before you."  -- Fan Irlanu, Tenkin Seerer of Oudorro Village* 


Ten have set out, searching for the lost capital, Percepliquis. The elves, breaking the three-thousand year peace, have finally attacked. Only the heir, using the fabled Horn, can stop them. The fate of all mankind hangs in the balance. Ten have set out. Not all will return.(*from Goodreads synopsis)

"Sometimes the price of dreams is achieving them."




How is it possible for a person to be both this happy and this sad, all at the same time?

I'm happy because this ending was spectacular. Simply perfect. Everything the ending to this wonderful series needed to be. Everything was resolved, including some plot points that had escaped me originally. (And one major plot point that left me going, how did I not see that coming.)

What I actually found the most wonderful about the resolutions in this story, was how no one was left hanging. You knew what all the characters were going to be doing after the end of the story - which is something I love. I just hate it when I invest a lot of time in a series, and then it's like they just yank the curtain closed and you nothing about what happens next.

Now I will note, as I mentioned in my synopsis, not everyone will live through this book. Which, I really didn't expect them to - not after the last book. So, it didn't come as any surprise when several people died, however, I was a little surprised at who was killed and how.

There were also a couple of very nice plot twists.

So, even though I loved this book and pretty much everything about this series, I will miss these people - which is where the aforementioned sadness comes in. (Yes, I know there is a prequel series, and I will buy it, but it's not quite the same as new adventures.)

This final volume in the Riyria Revelations series really feels like the end of an era. Nothing will be the same again - though it's up to you to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. So many things change in this book and, really, I am hoping for a sequel series - set many, many years down the line. (I think if you read the book, you'll understand why.

Five Stars