Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Ten Books About Friendship

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

As soon as I saw the prompt for this week, I knew I was going to have a blast with this. I've always loved books with a strong friendship in them. In fact, I'd generally choose friendship over romance in my books. Now, I wouldn't actually say that any of these books are about the friendship (I don't think I've ever read a book whose main plot was the friendship...) - but friendship plays a large part in the story and it is very important. Anyways, I cannot wait to see what's on everyone else's lists.

Ten Books About Friendship



Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Okay, you had to know this would be on the list. I probably could have picked any from this series, but I thought I'd just go with the first one. I do love the burgeoning friendship between so called 'Golden Trio'. Even if I've not finished the series yet, I look forward to seeing their friendship continue to grow.

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
This was one of my first forays into 'buddy stories'. Honestly, I didn't read the book until after I had seen the Disney movie from 1960 - and by that point I was very taken by the friendship these two men shared.

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
How could you imagine any list of mine would be complete without mention of one of the best friendships of all time? Even though I was pretty young when I first read this, even then the strength of Holmes and Watson's friendship stuck with me.


Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
I think the building friendships in this series (of which this book is the first) is one of the best things about the books. I love the relationship depicted between the girls and I adore how, even though they are so different, they complement each other perfectly.


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Everyone looking at me in confusion yet? I know, how did I arrive at this being a friendship book (well, actually, the whole series) when what you usually hear about it is the love triangle? While I do think that the friendships illustrated by those from the London Institute is very nice, this book is on the list because of the strong friendship bond between Will and Jem.


Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding
This book is the first in a series about a group of sky pirates in a steampunk setting. Think Firefly - but steampunk. Even though the crew fought and bickered and just generally seemed to hate each other, before the end of the book I got the feeling that this was a group of people that would do anything for each other. They'd just cut their own tongue out before admitting it.

The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sulivan
Of course my favorite friendship duo would have to be on this list. The two main characters in this series are polar opposites and somehow they are the best of friends. I wouldn't say their friendship really grows throughout the series, but they always have moments that just puts a silly grin on my face.


The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross
While the romance actually took more attention than the friendship, there was a pretty solid group of friends being formed. Like all groups, not all of them really got along. I do think a little more attention was given to the friendships in the second book in the series, but why quit putting the first in a series on this list now?

The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker
I really, really like the group of people that was put together in this book. While some of them aren't exactly the most friendly towards each other, you can certainly see the first blooms of friendship towards each other. The friendship between two of them (the two that fight and bicker all the time) really starts to take off in the second book in the series though.

The Binding Stone by Don Bassingthwaite
Go ahead and look at me like 'what's that doing on your list?' I don't mind. There was a time in my life when I read little besides the D&D novels and books like this made it totally worth it. While you've got the usual Good vs. Evil going on, a core driving force behind the characters is a friendship turned falling out from betrayal and a rebuilding friendship.





So, there's my ten books about friendship. I cannot wait to see what's on everyone else's lists. So leave links in the comments and let me know what you think about my picks.