Friday, January 29, 2016

January Wrap-Up


Woohoo, first wrap up of 2016! (Should I really be this excited?)

I've discovered something interesting this month pertaining to my book buying ban. It seems that the more I'm enjoying the book/s I'm reading, the less likely I am to buy more books. Well, this month was all over the place in terms of how much I enjoyed the books, so I bought more books than I planned on. :p The good news is that most of them are continuing a series, so they totally don't count for my buying ban.

I read a book that was nearly 500 pages long early this month and I'd forgotten what that was like. I'd been reading so many short books, trying to cut my TBR down quickly, that I kind of forgot what it was like to take more than two days to read a book. Honestly, I gotta say that it was kind of fun.

Last week I rediscovered Soulmates AU fanfiction and Marvel fanfiction - but especially the two combined. I wish there was some way I could include my fanfiction on my monthly reading, because I pretty much read nothing but that for about a week. Seriously, like 200,000 words of MCU Soulmates AU's.

My mom's birthday was this month and I bought her books. Also a couple movies, but the books are the important things. I'm also starting to realize that she is super hard to buy gifts for.



What I've been reading...



Timebound by Rysa Walker - **** - Review
Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones - ** - Review 2/3
Frostbite by Richelle Mead - *** - Thoughts


The Girls at the Kingfisher Club by Genevieve Valentine - ****
The Ace of Skulls by Chris Wooding - *****
Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare - ***** - Thoughts


Wearing the Cape: The Beginning by Marion G. Harmon - *- Review 2/10
Beneath the Surface by Lindsay Buroker - ***** - Thoughts
Cold Steel and Secrets: Part 1 by Rosemary Jones - ****


The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson - **
Cold Steel and Secrets: Part 2 by Rosemary Jones - ****


Cold Steel and Secrets: Part 3 by Rosemary Jones - ***
Cold Steel and Secrets: Part 4 by Rosemary Jones - ***
The Fortune Hunter by Diane Farr - ****



Omega City by Diana Peterfreund - ****
Karneval Omnibus Vol. 1 by Touya Mikanagi - ****
Pandora Hearts Vol. 4 by Jun Mochizuki - *****


 


Pandora Hearts Vol. 5 by Jun Mochizuki - *****
The Web of Titan by Dom Testa - *****
A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas - ***** - Reread/BR with Vera



Buying ban information to date...
I can buy/get free 1 book for every 5 I read.
Series continuations are free.

Physical books read: 31
E-books read: 19

Physical books bought: 2
E-books bought: 2


What I've been watching...
I've rewatched season 2 of Saiyuki, season 4 of Rizzoli & Isles and Crusade. Still love all three shows.

I watched I Couldn't Become a Hero So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job (AKA: Yu-Shibu). I...didn't really care for the show much. There were too many moments of uncomfortable 'fanservice' (like the girls getting sexually molested by 'wild magic') and I HATE the main guy. So...yeah.

I watched Hamatora season 1. And I want to know how a show that started off so well could turn into that rubbish. Ugh. What's even worse is that the final episode to season 1 is a huge cliffhanger as though the creators knew no one would still be interested in season 2 if they didn't leave a huge hook. (Which reminds me, I need to find some spoilers for season 2 to find out what the hell is going on.)

I watched season 2 of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and...this show has moments when I love it and moments that I have zero interest in ever watching it again. LOL. Overall though, I like the show.

I watched season 1 of Teen Wolf. Honestly I bought this show on a whim when I needed to fill out my best buy order. I was kind of interested in in but got it mostly because it was cheap. And when I started watching it I was reminded very strongly of Vampire Diaries. But I like this show more. It's actually a lot of fun and I'll definitely be watching season 2.

I watched Unlimited Psychic Squad and I LOVE this show! Seriously, I didn't even hope this show could be as awesome as it is. The plotline is exactly the kind I adore and the people are just perfect! I liked it so much that I've already ordered Psychic Squad, which this show is kind of the sequel spinoff of. (And even though I hear Psychic Squad isn't as dark.)

I've also been watching some more Naruto. I'm currently up to episode 126 of Shippuden - which added to the original series means that I've seen 346 episodes. Is it strange that I think the show keeps getting better?