Friday, March 18, 2016

The Struggle of Deciding What to Read

Lately I've been having more than a little trouble deciding which of my many, many books to read next.

Originally, when I first started blogging, I had no trouble at all deciding what I wanted to read. I usually only had a handful of books on hand and it was easy to pick which one fit my mood the best at the time. No problems.

Then I started buying more books and was left staring at my expanding TBR and scratching my head.

When I first started my TBR jar - a full year ago, now! - it worked wonderfully. Then, over time, something happened. I think it might have something to do with how many books I pulled out that I just didn't like and - up until late last year - my compulsion to finish everything I started. Whatever the reason, the TBR jar started to fall by the wayside.

Since then, I've tried breaking books down into groups of 'need to read,' 'want to read,' and 'I bought so I better read.' This actually helped me pick through the books that I had little interest in and either finally read them or decide there was a reason I hadn't read them yet.

But that system also quit working.

Right now, I've got my books divided into three different categories: next book in series, books on TBR year+ and chunky books. Which, uncoincidentally, are also three of my personal reading challenges this year.

What I've been trying to do is pick at least one book off each list each month, paying special attention to the books that will help me finish series.

Now, I'd love to know your method for deciding what to read. Are you someone that has no trouble at all choosing one book out of your towering stack? Do you always know exactly what you want to read next? Or do you have a special system that works for you? (Do share, if that's the case, because I'd love to know what works!)