Friday, December 12, 2014

TBR Organization

I was just over at Goodreads, going through my 'to-read' shelf and I was hit with a sudden question.

How do you organize the books you want to read?

Now I'm not talking about the ones you already own and have sitting on your shelf. I'm talking about the books you don't own and don't want to forget about.

Really, that's what I use my Goodreads list for more than anything else. Find a book that I know I'll love? Just add it to my list. Of course, I am extremely OCD and even somewhat anal retentive when it comes to organizing my books on that list.

First, I hate it when my list reaches over a hundred books because then I feel that I'll never actually read them all. About once every six months I go through my list and cut all books that I've lost interest in or that just doesn't sound good anymore.

At the top of my list are the books I currently own but haven't read yet - and ones that I actually do plan on reading. Not the ones that I started and realized that I'd never be able to finish. Next on my list come the books I plan on buying soon.

From there, I have my books categorized by genre: Steampunk, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Historical, Contemporary, Fairy Tale Retellings, Romance, Next-In-Series, Only-On-E-Reader and, finally, Not-Yet-Released (and these are listed according to release date).

Before I knew about Goodreads, I used to keep a list on my computer of all the books that I wanted - and long before that, I kept a simple sheet of notebook paper that I wrote book titles and authors on.