Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2014

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2014

I did a lot of reading outside my comfort zone this year. For some of my reading, that meant trying other genres - but it also meant trying authors whose work I had never read before. Sometimes, getting the best of both worlds, I managed to do both. After compiling this list, I am surprised to discover that these are entirely women authors. Now, I read a lot of stuff written by men too, it just so happens that most of those authors either weren't as impressive this year, or I'd already read their writing before.

Author: Page Morgan
Average Rating: 3

This was a new author for me as well as being a new genre. I had never read any historical from France before - much less a paranormal. (Can I use the term 'urban fantasy' if it's not so urban?) 


Author: Morgan Rhodes
Average Rating: 3.5

I almost didn't even make it through the first book. This was a very rocky start, but I'm having a lot of fun with this series and am looking forward to the next book.
Author: Rachel Aaron
Books Read: The Spirit Thief
Rating: 4

This is the kind of author that I didn't think wrote outside of D&D novels - and believe me, that's a complement. This is a lighthearted read that was exactly what I felt was missing in my fantasy reads.




Author: Adrienne Kress
Book Read: The Friday Society
Rating: 4

Before I ever read this book, it worried me a little. Let's just say that I needn't have worried because this book was so much pure fun. Exactly what  wanted.





Author: Jen Turano
Books Read: A Change of Fortune
Rating: 4

It's not as though Christian/historical/romance is a new genre for me, but I've not had the best luck with them. This book, however, was so much fun to read and a great 'palate cleanser' - which was just what I needed after so many heavy-on-the-world-building-fantasies. I love this author's sense of humor.



Author: Marissa Meyer
Books Read: Cinder & Scarlet & Cress
Average Rating: 3.67

I really don't know what to say about this series. It certainly gets better as it goes along and I am thrilled that after a lackluster first outing, I listened to everyone on the internet and kept reading. This is a very unique genre for me as well - though it does have a lot of steampunk in it.



Author: Bridget Zinn
Books Read: Poison
Rating: 5

It makes me so sad to think that this is one of my favorite books of the year and this author will never get the chance to write anything else. Anyway, this book is great and I love pretty much everything about it.




Author: Lindsay Buroker
Average Rating: 4.87

I'm loving this series so much. I was so happy when I looked back at my books for the year and realized that I read the first one in January - because I just knew if I could have her stuff on here that Lindsay Buroker would be one of my top authors of the year. She's actually probably one of my three favorite authors - and probably my favorite I found this year.


Author: Rosamund Hodge
Books Read: Cruel Beauty
Rating: 5

Truly, not a book I thought I would love. It's a different type of read for me. I guess I would categorize it as a fantasy/romance, but it was so much more than that to me. I usually go for the light, fun books, the ones that don't hit you in the emotions very much - if at all. However this book was an emotional ride and I loved every minute of the confusing mess.


Author: Kady Cross
Average Rating: 5

I was predisposed to love this series, what with it being likened to the X-Men in Victorian London, and I will tell you, it didn't disappoint. Fun, likable characters and just enough steampunk goodness to not leave me feeling cheated. Just an all-around great fun read.



Looking back on it, I really have read some wonderful books this year. Several of these authors are also giving me something to look forward to next tear, too. I'd love to know what you thought of this list. Any authors here that you were first introduced to this year as well? Did they turn out well? Or, maybe, not so well? It would be great if you let me know, and leave me a link, in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. You have four books listed That are on my TBR. I've read all of the lunar Chronicles and absolutely loved them, but I started reading those two years ago so she's not a new to me offer.
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete