Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Fairytale Survey

Created by The Daily Prophet. Usually on Tuesdays I participate in a little meme called Top Ten Tuesdays. However, this week is about quotes and I have nothing to say. I'm terrible at remembering quotes. So, I decided to do this awesome looking survey that I've been wanting to do for ages.



PART 1. CLASSIC PRINCESSES.

Pinocchio – The boy whose nose grows when he lies.
Is there are book you lie about, because you feel ashamed for liking it?

Nope. I don't feel ashamed for liking any book. There are some, however that I don't tell my family that I read because it's just been for everyone involved if we don't get into that discussion.

Beauty and the beast – The girl who fell in love with personality.
Which book do you love that has a hideous cover?

I wouldn't say it exactly has a hideous cover, but it's certainly unattractive.
1715824
Crypt of the Moaning Diamond by Rosemary Jones

Snow white – Hunted down for her beauty.
Do you ever buy a book based on the cover alone and if so, what is the last one?

Not alone. Sure, the cover will catch my attention first, but it has to be a book that sounds good to me for me to even be interested in it.

Sleeping beauty – Cursed to sleep, awakened by true love's kiss.
What is your favorite book couple?
Hmm... Well, that's a toughy. I think I'll have to go with either Scarlet and Wolf from Scarlet or Cress and Thorne from Cress. Both by Marissa Meyer's. Books two and three in The Lunar Chronicles.

Little Mermaid – Gave up on her old life for love.
Do you ever branch out to new genres or do you like to stick with the ones you know and love? If you try new things out, what is the latest book?
Kind of both. Is that an answer? Can I be like my mom: 'yes and no'? For me, I definitely have my favorite genres - fantasy and steampunk - but I can often be found reading sci-fi or historical romance - and even occasionally a contemporary story. My reading is definitely mostly fantasy, but I honestly cannot say I read any genre little enough to consider it branching out. (Except for horror, which I never read, and westerns, which just aren't for me.)

Cinderella – Who lost her shoe after midnight.
What is the last book that made you stay up all night?

Even though I wish I could, I have this thing. I need sleep. At least six hours (preferably eight or nine). I have to be up by seven to get to work by nine. I'm usually in bed by eleven. Now, I will forgo T.V. for the night to read, but I won't stay up late.

Rapunzel – locked up in a tower.
What is  the worst books you've read last month?

I'll be honest, October was a disappointing month. I finished a couple of series and, like most other series I've been finishing lately, they just didn't hold up to the rest of the series. However, there was another book that sounded so perfect for me but that was a huge disappointment.















Ring of Secrets by Roseanna M. White
This is a historical Christian romance about the Culper spies during the Revolutionary War. Seriously, how could it fail? I don't know, but it did by being more a slice of life than romance or spy. And overly preachy. And a total cop-out with the romance. Ugh. Disappointing.


PART 2. MIX-MATCH.

Aladdin – The poor boy who found a genie.
What is the latest book treasure/gem you found?













Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward
I've not actually read it yet, so I just hope it's worth all the trouble. Usually this book runs about 30 $ used - which is totally crazy. But I found it for less than half that and scooped it up. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's good.

Alice in Wonderland – The girl who fell through a rabbit’s hole. 
Which book made you really feel like you landed in another world?













Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
This book gave me such amazing visuals both for Prague and for the fantasy world.

East of the sun and west of the moon – where a girl embarks on a journey to save her love.
Who is one of your favorite kick-ass heroines?
Let it be known that I think I am permanently against 'bad-ass' characters. Seriously, I don't need my girls to be tougher than the boys always ready with a smart-ass response and snarky and this is probably why I've never been able to get into urban fantasy. That being said...















Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Scarlet is my kind of 'kick-ass' heroine. She's stubborn and determined and willing to risk everything to save her grandmother. She tends to see the best in people but isn't hopelessly naive. But the best thing? She's all this without having to draw attention to it. Scarlet knows who she is and she doesn't need outside approval.


The Frog Prince – where an enchanted prince becomes human again.
What is a book you thought you would hate, but end up loving?















A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

Hate is kind of a strong word, but I remember when I read it for Fairytale Fortnight earlier this year. I had this and two others I was going to read and I read A Wicked Thing first because - as I said - 'I'll like it the least.' ... *blinks* Yeah, let's just say 'didn't happen.' I love this book and try pushing it at anyone that'll listen.

Hansel and Gretel – left alone in the woods and captured by a witch.
Which duo (sister/sister, brother/sister) is your favorite and why?













Prudence by Gail Carriger

Percy & Primrose Tunstell
It wasn't until looking for siblings that I realized how few there truly are in my books - especially me liking both of them. So, Percy and Primrose (brother/sister) are my choice because they are vastly different and wind up going on an adventure together. They annoy each other but are there for each other no matter what.

Little Red Riding Hood – almost eaten by a wolf dressed as her grandmother.
What book disappointed you after falling in love with the cover and blurb?















The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason

Seriously, just look at that cover. It's so beautiful. The story though...wasn't.

Rumpelstiltskin – nobody knows his name.
Which book do you love that doesn’t get enough attention?















Monstrous by MarcyKate Connolly
I could have went with A Wicked Thing again (and truthfully wanted to and liked loved it more than this one) but Monstrous is a very unknown little book. It's a MG book, but there are tons of crossover appeal and if you don't mind being patient, this book is beautiful.


That was fun - and really got me thinking about books. Let me know what you think of my choices and can I convince you to give A Wicked Thing or Monstrous a go?