Thursday, December 17, 2015

Book Courtship Tag

A shout out to Jessie over at Spines & Covers because that's where I found this. (Many, many moons ago.)

Initial Attraction: A book that you bought because of the cover?
So, it wasn't just because of the cover, but without that totally epic cyberpunk cover, I probably would have never given this book a second look.

First Impressions: A book that you got because of the summary?
A book that has magicians working with different materials? You can be a paper magician - called a Folder - or a metal magician - called a Smelter - or dozens of different magicians? Seriously, if that doesn't sound awesome, tell me what does.

Sweet Talk: A book with great writing?
I'm not usually one to think about good writing - even if I make my opinion on bad writing known - although I remember thinking that the writing in this book was thick. I can't describe it, but imagine a milkshake. That's what the writing in this book reminded me of.

First Date: A first book of a series which made you want to pursue the rest of the series?
This was one of those slow building love affairs, but when it hit me, it hit me and I wanted the rest of the series - and, in truth, everything else by Martha Wells - in my hands, now.

Late Night Phone Calls: A book that kept you up all night long?
I don't often stay up late to read - I have to get up early to work the next day, after all. But I am pretty sure I gave up some sleep to finish this book.

Always on my mind: A book you could not stop thinking about?
Even to this day, this book kind of baffles me. Yes, it was awesome, but it was also so rollercoaster of emotions and feelings and twisty turny and genre defying that I really don't know what to say about it.

Getting Physical: A book which you love the way it feels?
My copy of this book is gorgeous. It has a velvety feel to the dust jacket and the writing and design is raised and embossed. Not to mention the fact that the gold actually glitters when it catches the light. Love it.

Meeting the parents: A book which you would recommend to your family and friends?
That all really depends on who, exactly, I'm recommending the book to. However, the only one that actually borrows books from me any more is my mom. And I really think she would like this book.

Thinking about the future: A book or series you know you will re-read many times in the future?
Okay, so it's an understatement to say I love this book. I am already planning to reread it before the February 2016 release of the sequel. I can't wait!


Psst! Hey, you! Yeah, you. I tag you. C'mon. You know you want to.

Seriously though, this was really fun and got me thinking about books a little differently.