Monday, February 15, 2016

Mean Girls Book Tag

Discovered over at A Fool's Ingenuity.
Is it weird that my brother was a bigger fan of this movie than I was? But I did like it, it was a lot of fun, and I haven't seen it in years. So, I decided to do this book tag.

It's Pronounced Like 'Cady'.
Which fictional characters’ names did you get completely wrong?

Usually, I do a pretty good job of getting the names right - at least for those names that I eventually find out how to pronounce. I guess the one that I didn't was Agnieszka from Uprooted. I pronounced it ag-neez-kah when it's pronounced ag-NYESH-kah.


She Doesn't Even Go Here!
Pick a fictional character that you would like to place in another fictional character's world.

Hmm... That's interesting. I've never much thought about just dumping someone from one book into another. I really can't think of anyone right now. But I do like 'fish out of water' scenarios, so something like that would be awesome!


On Wednesdays, We Wear Pink.
Repetition, repetition. Which book gave you déja vu of another book while reading it?

Well, if I can talk about books by the same author: the second-fourth books in the Ladies of Distinction series by Jen Turano gave me deja vu of the first one. And Crimson Bound gave me deja vu of Cruel Beauty - both by Rosamund Hodge. Beyond that, I know there's one that I will probably remember as soon as I post this.

You all have got to stop calling each other sluts and whores. It just makes it okay for guys to call you sluts and whores.
Which book gave you the complete opposite of girl power feels?

I'm really lucky in that I usually can avoid these books. In fact, this is probably the most common reason I've passed on books. Hmm, the only one that's coming to my mind is Heart's Blood though I know there are more.


You Go Glen Coco!
Name a character you felt like you wanted to cheer on whilst reading.

Oh, there's so very many. When I like the characters, it seems like I can't help but to want to cheer for them. Let's see, Penny from Ticker by Lisa Mantchev, Brad from V is for Villain by Peter Moore, Jarra from Earth Girl by Janet Edwards and Sevana from The Child Prince by Honor Raconteur name just a few recent ones.

Get in Loser, We're Going Shopping!
How long do you typically spend at a book shop?

Typically? I don't even go into them. I do almost all my shopping online. If I do have time and a ride (I don't drive) and get to go to a book store, well... I can easily spend an hour or two in there.


It's Not My Fault You’re Like In Love With Me Or Something!
Which character would have to get out a restraining order on you, if they were real?

Interesting question. I really don't think I'd tend to stalk anyone. At least, I hope I wouldn't. But...Probably the entire four person main cast of Prudence by Gail Carriger. (Especially Rue and Quesnel.)

I Can't Help It That I’m Popular.
Which over-hyped book were you cautious about reading?

Pretty much every overhyped book I've read in the last two+ years. Typically speaking, the more popular a book is with readers and critics, the less I like the book. I don't mean for it to happen. It just does. And I've been heart-broken more than once because of it. There was Uprooted by Naomi Novik and the entire Harry Potter series. Usually, if I'm unsure, that's a pretty clear sign I should just forget it, because I know what I like and the hype usually leads me astray. If we want to talk about books that I didn't need to be cautious about...Throne of Glass immediately leaps to mind. And, after a while, Cinder by Marissa Meyer.


She's A Life Ruiner. She Ruins Peoples' Lives.
We all love Regina George. Name a villain you just love to hate.

I love villains. A well written villain has a very good chance of being my favorite character in the book. So, we're not talking about them, right? We're talking about the villains that I want dead, yes? Levana from The Lunar Chronicles fits that bill about as well as any ever could. I seriously hated her.


I'm Not Like A Regular Mom, I’m A Cool Mom.
Your favourite fictional parents.

Even though I thought her daughter needed to be turned over her knee, I adored Megan Robbins - mother of bratty Quin - in the Dusk Gate Chronicles by Breeana Puttroff. That's all I can think of right now, besides the obvious of Amelia/Radcliff and Walter/Evelyn from the Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters. Though I hardly feel right including them, because we followed them before they had kids and now, thanks to the passage of time, we follow their kids a lot.
That Is So Fetch!
Which book or series would you love to catch on?

A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas? Seriously, I love this book like crazy and can't for the life of me understand why so many people hate the book. But if we're talking lesser known books - and not just the unloved ones - I'd definitely say anything by Lindsay Buroker. She writes some awesome fantasy book! And, specifically, The Child Prince by Honor Raconteur.

How Do I Even Begin To Explain Regina George?
Describe your ideal character to read about.

I don't know that I necessarily have an ideal character. I'll give it a go though. One that is: funny, humor is a must. Preferably dry humor - witty, sarcastic kind of stuff is all good. A smartass response to most things. Not someone that is 'lawful good' if you'll accept a D&D term. I like my characters to be a little morally grey. They always do the right thing, eventually, but there's a lot of work for them to get to that point. Confidence is a must. Cockiness is totally accepted, too - especially if they're not always as good as they think they are. I like people that aren't doormats by don't treat other people like doormats either.


I Just Have A Lot Of Feelings.

What do you do when a book gives you a bad case of 'the feels'?

Uh... You mean emotional wreck? Books don't often inspire a lot of tears from me. I was going to say 'a lot of emotion' but I can laugh like a madwoman when something tickles my fancy. (And then there's the violence I perpetrate to books I hate.) Let's see, Air Awakens by Elise Kova gave me one doozy of a book hangover where nothing would compare to the awesomeness of it. (Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff did the same thing, though with more wet eyes.)


Nice Wig Janice, What’s It Made Of? – Your Mom’s Chest Hair!
Which character’s one liners would you love to claim for your own?

Cinder from Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I love her sarcastic sense of humor and wish I could think of retorts like that in the moment. (As opposed to five hours later.)

Boo, You Whore.
Name a time a characters decision has made you roll your eyes.

That's...kind of a common occurrence for me. Definitely half the decisions Darian made in The Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding (and every decision he made about Trinica). And every romance book I've ever read has at least one eye roll moment. Plus all those times in YA books where someone makes a questionable decision. Honestly, by now it's a wonder I still have my eyes where they belong. ;)


That was fun, and I love how some of these questions are so different. Anyone that's interested: consider yourself tagged!