Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Top Ten Characters Everyone Except Me Loves

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

As soon as I saw this topic, I knew this week was going to be very interesting for me. I'm quite used to being the 'black sheep' in that I like characters others don't and I dislike characters that others do. Originally, I was supposed to split the list in half and have five of each - but then I started going through all my books, thinking of the well-loved characters that I just can't stand, and realized that this would be so much better. And so much more fun. *grins evilly*

Harry Potter
Harry Potter Series
By J.K. Rowling
Honestly, I've had problems with him since the first book - and it just got progressively worse the more time went on. It seems like he spends all his time either moping about not being able to do anything, or being all 'I'm better than you' to anyone that will listen.

Harry Dresden
The Dresden Files Series
By Jim Butcher
(Notice a pattern? Two magic-using Harry's! LOL) Okay, so I hate him for his misogyny, but also because he's very much the hardboiled get's beat up, the half naked girl falls into his arms, lather, rinse and repeat sort.

Finnikin
Finnikin of the Rock
By Melina Marchetta
He is an arrogant, cocky braggart - which could have been awesome, but he is NEVER brought down a few notches. He's so incredibly full of himself that it's like watching a strutting rooster that is just begging to be kicked.

Vin
Mistborn Series
By Brandon Sanderson
Yup, I said it! Vin is such a poorly done character. I couldn't stand how she's all strong and capable - but, don't worry, she's got a soft, mushy inside so she can break down into tears whenever the need arises. And it really pissed me off that in book two, her whole character arc revolves around whether she'd choose the safe, stable guy that she loves, or the dangerous guy that understands her. For pities sake, this isn't a YA romance!

Brody Carmichael
UnEnchanted
By Chanda Hahn
Creep! This guy is one of those horrible stalker-esque 'love interests' that, no matter how many times the girl tells him back off and leave her the hell alone, he knows she really doesn't mean it and continues to pester her because, after all, he knows best. Ugh!

Erevis Cale
Twilight Falling
By Paul S. Kemp
I can totally include this, even if all I can remember all these years later is that I hated him even though I can't recall why, right? Right. Anyway, this was back in my heavy D&D time and, if you were into the novels, you knew and loved this guy. I, for whatever reason, hated him.

Eli Ever
Vicious
By V.E. Schwab

Oh, man, this is one of those guys that's such a hypocrite. He's always so sure that he's the hero, that he's doing the right thing, and that he's so much better than everyone around him. Not to mention the fact that he want's to do a genocidal cleansing of what HE is - because he's the only one that isn't evil, impure of the bunch. (And people claim this book doesn't have a clear-cut villain!)


Luc
The Dispossessed Series
By Page Morgan
The dark, brooding, 'you can't be mine' love interest that, as soon as I met him, I wanted to strangle him. Not to mention the hot-tempered, jealous, stupid decisions he made and the way everything he ever wanted was just handed to him at the end because he's so wonderful. Blerg.


Meliara
Crown Duel
By Sherwood Smith
I don't really like using this word, but nothing else describes her so perfectly. She's a bitch. She's self-centered, self-obsessed, narrow minded, spoiled, useless, worthless little brat of a bitch.


Thomas
The Maze Runner
By James Dashner
A jerk AND a Gary Stu - oh, lucky me. Seriously, there was not anything I liked about him, but it was also really hard for me to pin down why I hate hi so much.


Hehehe
So, how many people disagree with me strongly? Go ahead, tell me I have no idea what a good character is. I can take it. Conversly, I'd love to hear if you agree with me on any of these. (Or if you know why I hate Erevis and Thomas so much.)