Thursday, December 15, 2016

5 Reasons to Read: Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan

Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan
Series: The Legends of the First Empire #1
Genre: Fantasy
Add on Goodreads

What does it mean if the gods can be killed? The first novel in an epic new fantasy series for readers of Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson, Peter V. Brett, and Scott Lynch.

Age of Myth inaugurates an original six-book series, and one of fantasy's finest next-generation storytellers continues to break new ground.

Since time immemorial, humans have worshipped the gods they call Fhrey, truly a race apart: invincible in battle, masters of magic, and seemingly immortal. But when a god falls to a human blade, the balance of power between men and those they thought were gods changes forever. Now, only a few stand between humankind and annihilation: Raithe, reluctant to embrace his destiny as the God Killer; Suri, a young seer burdened by signs of impending doom; and Persephone, who must overcome personal tragedy to lead her people. The Age of Myth is over; the time of rebellion has begun.



It was what the tree said to do. And if you can't trust an ancient talking tree, what was the point of having one?

This book starts the far past prequel to the Riyria Revelations series. No knowledge of that series is needed to read this book - and that series doesn't spoil this one because the stories that people told are different than the history that actually happened.

In fact, you might find yourself going 'so that's what actually happened' a few times if you've read Riyra Revelations. (Which I actually recommend over this book as I like it a bit more.)

#1 There's a prophecy - that came from a tree!
I'm not the biggest fan of prophecies. I don't like that 'farm boy destined to save the world' rubbish. But this is so much fun. They asked the tree for help and it responded with three things they needed to do. Three things that made hardly any sense to begin with and it was so much fun.

#2 A vile villain that needs to be beat.
There's a lot to be said for truly awful villains, and this one is one of the best because said villain thinks they are doing the right thing. And those are always ten times scarier than any other villain.

#3 A 'found family' feel.
While they're not all the way there yet, I definitely get the feeling that this is where the story is going and I love it! For me these type of stories are the most fun, and nearly every character is the sort that needs to find a place they can fit in.

#4 Some 'who's the bad guy' confusion.
I absolutely adore stories that pull you back and forth with the characters so you don't know exactly who is trustworthy and who isn't. And this story did it very well. Just when I started thinking I knew what the character was, several of them surprised me. Which is just awesome.

#5 A couple of twist-y twists.
Okay, so there's something about a little hidden mystery that makes me sit up and take note. Not as the main plot point, but just added in little snippets here and there. Sometimes I catch them. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes my intuition kicks in and I have no idea why I suspect what I do. (This one was mostly the third.)

I definitely recommend this book to anyone that likes fantasy stories, people that are already fans of Sullivan's earlier work, and pretty much anyone that's interested in it.