Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Audiobook Review: I'd Tell You I Love You by Ally Carter

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter
Series: Gallagher Girls #1
Genre: Contemporary/Espionage (YA)
Add on Goodreads

The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women is a fairly typical all-girls school—that is, it would be if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses, but it’s really a school for spies.

Cammie Morgan is a second-generation Gallagher Girl, and by her sophomore year she’s already fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man in seven different ways (one of which involves a piece of uncooked spaghetti). But the one thing the Gallagher Academy hasn’t prepared her for is what to do when she falls for a boy who thinks she’s an ordinary girl. (from Goodreads)

I don't listen to many audio books and, honestly, if I'd been reading this book instead of listening to it, I probably would have given up long before finishing it. While I thought Cammie was annoying enough listening to the book, I imagine I would have been really annoyed if I had to pay close attention to her.

Cammie started off kind of likable, at least for the same part of me that used to like watching Alias. That all changed when she met 'the boy'. Shortly after meeting him, she seemed to forget that she was in a spy school. Her classwork, homework and friendships suffered all for him. Beyond that she risked the whole cover of her school all for 'the boy' and her whole world started revolving around him.

And really, Josh wasn't all that great. I did like how he was a sweet guy for most of the book (at least until he got in his 'you're a Gallagher Girl' snit - and I kind of wanted to strangle him. Of course it does make you wonder why he was friends with a certain bullying jerk, too. Okay, maybe he wasn't so nice.) I did like how, the story ended, but certainly not enough to suffer through all that again.

The plot, at least what was there, was simply okay. Honestly though, this book was all about the romance and all the rest, (i.e: spy school, friends) were just side trimmings. Lest you get distracted from the romance.

Now, about the narrator. She does the teen girls excellently. Perfect job on all of them. What I didn't like was that her women sounded almost just like her men, unless they have a 'accent', and I really didn't like that. So, once you grow up, men and women sound alike? Her teen boys were some of the most annoying sounding I have ever heard. That might have contributed to my dislike of Josh and Dylan (if that's how you spell his name…).

I'm one of those people that whenever I hear a mispronounced word, I immediately correct it. It might be out-loud to the person or, if the situation isn't proper for that, silently in my head. I hate mispronounced words. Just ask my mom. So, when I was in the second from last chapter (I think it was) and the narrator… Well, follow along with me for a minute.

If it was written, it would have been: Pretty short lived.
The word lived in this instance is the past tense of the verb live - meaning, to have life or to be alive.
However, it was pronounced in this instance as: live-d.
The word being the adjective live - meaning, a live band.
There is not a past tense version of the adjective. You don't pronounce this word that way. Live-d is not a word!

Let's just say, this pulled me right out of the narration as I searched for a paper and pen to make a note of this mispronunciation on. I do understand that people can make mistakes, however someone should have caught it. It's not even as though two words are spelled the same but just pronounced differently. There isn't a word in the English language that is pronounced the way that one was.

Ultimately, besides that odd flub with the narration, was very forgettable. Not even brain fluff 'well, that was fun' forgettable. Just 'glad I didn't buy it' forgettable.