Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Five: Books I Need To Read Before Watching the Movie

A new feature where I take five books of a certain theme and post them. This feature has no set schedule, but I'll probably make one or two of these a month.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about books that get turned into tv shows or movies. Not just for my Page-to-Screen feature either. I've noticed that I usually watch the movie (or series) before reading the book. Then, if I liked it enough to give the book a shot, I'm terribly disappointed. So, I've decided that for several of the next adaptations that I'm interested in, I'll be reading the book first.

Five Books I Need to Read Before Watching The Movie



 BEFORE 
Okay, this is one book series that has always hung around *right there* in my subconscious. I went through a vampire phase, I went through a hating vampire phase and yet I still managed to avoid this book. A promotional interview I heard for the movie made it sound very 'girl power-y' so I'm going to give the book a go.


 BEFORE
I'm not going to get into my up and down relationship with even the idea of reading this book. Nope. That's a post for another day. I'm curious. I've heard...well, nothing good about the movie. But still, I'm curious. (And holding out some hope that The Infernal Devices could make it to the big screen.)

 BEFORE
This book was a spur-of-the-moment purchase. I was looking for another book, couldn't find it, so I bought this one instead. I've always been a little interested in it and the movie really brought the book to the forefront of my mind. I think what held me back was the genre because, as much as I love the idea of sci-fi, it seldom works for me. I am quite excited about getting the chance to read this, though.




BEFORE
Okay, this is the one that I'm actually most likely to watch the movie of first and then...probably never read the book. (I'm trying not to.) The fact is, I've looked at this book before, but never felt a draw to it. I saw a trailer for the movie on youtube and it looks like exactly my kind of movie. From what I've been hearing, the movie is nothing like the book (I mean, seriously, nothing) so, that leaves me a little confused.




BEFORE
So, I almost had The Hunger Games on my list instead. Why did I chose this one? Because I think I'll like Tris more than Katniss. I tend to wait until the big rush of the fandom is over before I join in, and I gotta admit, this series interests me. Besides, this is another perfect choice to get a little my sci-fi under my belt.







What books do you want to read before watching the movie? Do you even like doing it that way or do you prefer watching the movie then reading the book? Have you read any of these books/watched any of these movies?