Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Top Ten Characters I Want to 'Check In' With

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

It seems like I'm always wanting to see what characters are up to, even after the end of a book or series. It feels like there's always so much more they could be doing - more adventures they could be going on. I knew this was going to be a fun prompt for me. It seems unbelievable though, that I was only able to come up with eight. Upon thinking about this, I realized that either the book/series ends so perfectly that I don't actually want another look into their lives, or I've not actually finished the series yet. Oh well...

Top Ten Eight Characters I Want to 'Check In' With

Royce Melborn & Hadrian Blackwater - The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan
Even though the author himself has said things that indicate the chances of this is basically nil, I'd love to see what these guys get up to ten, twenty or thirty years down the line. (Also love love love to see the offspring take the lead in a series! Or maybe a few generation's down the road when the events to The Riyria Revelations had turned to myth and legend. That would be fun too.)

Charlotte & Henry Branwell - The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
Although we've gotten a short story that showed Tessa, Will and Jem years after the events of the series, I'd love to see what these two were up to in their later years. They were two of my favorites in the series (especially that, you know, lived) and I'd really love to see more of them.

Randolph Lyall or Lord Akeldama - The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger
(Both in the same story would make me super pleased, too.) Two of my absolute favorites in the series and both are so different. Getting to read about either of them again would also bring their culture into it and I think it would be great to see what the werewolves and vampires are up to now.

Marina Marchetti & Finn Abbot - All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
I know we already got the short story Tomorrow and Tomorrow that takes place about nine months after the events in All Our Yesterdays, but... Can I say it without sounding greedy? It's not enough. I totally understand why there isn't going to be the originally planned sequel, but any more written about these two would make me a very, very happy fan.

Cora, Michiko & Nellie - The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress
Such a fun group of girls, but it took until almost the end of the book for them to form the titular Society. It would be so much fun to have a novella, even, of their next case/adventure. A series of novellas would be beyond wonderful.

Nyx Triskelion - Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Okay, so this story ends perfectly and it's just me and my curiosity that causes this book to be on the list. No, I don't really want to know what Nyx and Ignifex are up to now - I want to know how they're living. After the events at the end of Cruel Beauty, the world seemed to be changing. Did it? If so, how? Where, exactly, do Nyx and Ignifex live? These are all things I'd love to know.

Singe & Dandra - The Dragon Below by Don Bassingthwaite
You've not read the trilogy. (I know you haven't so don't even pretend you know what I'm talking about.) But, if you had read it, you would know there will be kids. At first, in Mr. Bassingthwaite's next series that featured some of the character's from The Dragon Below, I thought this girl named Sandra was their daughter. Then I did the math and realized I was wrong. (Completely.) Anyway, I'd love a 'continuing adventures' kind of story. I'd especially love to send the kids (that you know they're going to have) out adventuring when they get to be around twenty. (I'm picturing two boys and a girl…)

Prince Raffin - Graceling by Kristen Cashore
This is cheating a bit, because it's not so much that I want to check in with him as it is that I want his story. You see, I've read the first two of the Graceling series books and he is without a doubt my favorite character in either of them. I have heard that - well, I was slightly spoiled at the Graceling wikia when I was checking to make sure there was no listed surname for him. I know he's at least mentioned in Bitterblue, but I really want a book about him.


So, who do you want to check in with? What characters can you just not get enough of? Leave me a link in the comments and I'll stop by.