Thursday, July 2, 2015

July TBR & Reading Goals

You know about my TBR jar, right? (I've been talking about it enough that you should.) I think I started it back in February or March and I've been really enjoying it. It's helped me pick which books to read when I have no idea what to read. However, there's just some books that aren't coming up. So, for the next few months (that's the plan, anyway) I'm going to be doing my TBR a bit differently.

First, I've got almost a dozen books that released this year that I just had to have that I've not read. One of my goals is to make it through all the books that I own that were published this year by the end of the year. And this is including whatever new books I will buy for the rest of the year. (Though I'm also promising myself to be a little more careful as to which books I think I must have.) So I get to pick two of these books each month. (Sometimes more, depending on … stuff.)

Second, for a Top Ten Tuesday last month, I made a list of ten books I want to read this summer. My goal is to read all of them this summer - regardless of if I pick them at the beginning of the month or add them in if I have free time at the end of the month. (I've also already read one of these, so go me!) This will probably also make me actually put more thought into my quarterly lists for TTT, because I will try my hardest to read all ten of the books that season.

(Selected June 26th.)

So, starting off, I will pick three books from my Summer TBR:


Vicious by V.E. Schwab
I've been wanting to read this book for what seems like ages. (In truth, probably only a year.) I hear such great things about it and I really hope I like it.



Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle
I love these type of books (magic in a historical setting) and this sound like it will be really fun.




The Maze Runner by James Dashner
This was a total spur of the moment buy, but I hear really great things about it. I'd like to see the movie after I read this book, too.






Now, I'm going to select two books that released this year:


Uprooted by Naomi Novik
I hear such wonderful things about this book. It was already on my radar before the reviews started coming in, but once I heard how awesome this book sounds, I bought it immediately.


The Isle of the Lost by Melissa De La Cruz
Another spur of the moment purchases for me, but this one I already wanted. It really sounds great.







Now, I'll draw a few books from my jar:


The first paper is blue (historical) and it is:
Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury
Ooh, this book sound like it could be a lot of fun. After all, it features an unwrapping party and a mummy! (Sounds like my kind of book!)



The second paper is yellow (sci-fi) and it is:
Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff
Yay! I've been hoping to read this book soon because a) it's sci-fi and I'm really trying to find a non romance driven sci-fi I like and b) I hear great things about Huff and would love to try some of her fantasy too.



The third paper is green (fantasy) and it is:
This Crumbling Pageant by Patricia Burroughs
I actually thought this book sounded good before it came out, then heard a lot of rather bad things about it so gave it a pass. Then I saw it for ninety-nine cents on kindle and thought I'd give it a go. We'll see.



The fourth paper is green (fantasy) and it is:
Encrypted by Lindsay Buroker
I didn't exactly think I'd draw a book that was on my Summer TBR that I hadn't already selected. (The first book I drew was Bewitching Season.) So I didn't really have plans for what I'd do if I did. Anyway, I'm obviously looking forward to this book and - with all these new to me authors - it'll be good to have something to fall back too if they don't turn out as well as I'm hoping.


If I don't get to some of these books this month, they will carry over to next month. But I think this'll be enough but not too many. (Actually, if the books are as good as they sound, it won't be enough, but oh well.) Side note: I started on this list during the last couple days of June because the book I was reading wasn't keep my attention and...well, some of these look great.