Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
This prompt was more difficult than it should have been. Of course, because there's so much that I actively dislike in my romances, that section was easy to fill out. Then I was left wondering 'what do I actually like in romance?' So, yeah, I'm splitting this list up.


Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books


Five Things I Dislike

Insta-love/Love at first sight: I don't believe in love at first sight, so I certainly don't like it when that sort of stuff crops up in my books.

Abusive Boyfriends - Verbally, Physically or Emotionally: I loathe abusive guys. Hate them so much and I hate it when these absolute creeps get the girl. All they should get is a restraining order.

Love Triangles: There are exceptions but, as a whole, I dislike this. I can't really explain it, just that it tends to take over the story.

Lack of Time Spent Together: You've had three conversations, all about weather or food and I'm supposed to believe you're madly in love? Yeah, I don't buy it. (This also works for people that used to know each other years ago. People change over time, you know.)

Possessiveness: Another creepy thing I hate in guys - and it's usually guys. No, I don't find it romantic when a guy says you cannot see your friends - or when he decides to micromanage every bit of your life. Jealous, controlling and possessive all equal creepy to me.


Five Things I Like


Time Spent Building Affection: I love watching a romance progress from the first meeting or friendship phase right through the awkwardness and on to a true couple.

Sexual Tension/Slow Burn: When reading romances, I'm most happy when couples take a long time to kiss/voice love and get intimate. I like it when there's tension to their interactions, like they almost can't take anymore without doing something/saying something.

Humor: It doesn't have to be a joke a minute, but I like the quirky humor - and the just plain awkward humor - in romances. Not everything has to be sweet-nothings an 'one true love'. A bit of laughter goes a long way in making me think they're compatible.

Honesty: I love it when couples are willing to be honest with each other. Even though they are afraid of what the other person will think/say, if they have a secret, I'd much rather have it come out early and not drag it along. (I also hate secrets in my stories, so, yeah.)

Opposites Attract: I love putting two people together that are different - maybe the out-going guy and the shy girl or viceversa - and watching them get together. I also like when the couple has different opinions on things and can have mature discussions learning about each other.


Well, I think that pretty much covers it. What do you think? What's on your list?