Friday, May 20, 2016

Book Polyamory (AKA: I'm A Book Cheater!)

I've been noticing lately that the way I read has been changing.

Used to be that I'd pick a book, start it and finish it before moving onto the next one. Now…

Can I say that I feel a little like a book cheater?

You see, as I'm writing this, I have three books marked as 'currently reading' on Goodreads and another that I read the first couple pages of and haven't added. This is actually not terribly uncommon for me lately.

I don't know if it's because I pick up a book and it isn't what I want to read - or if I'm really developing that short of an attention span. (I definitely feel it's the former, because just last month I read two adult books that were around 500 pages each and I never felt bored with them.)

I do feel a bit guilty when I have a bunch of books started at once. That's why I occasionally force myself to either finish the books or go ahead and mark them as DNF.

But, at the same time, I don't actually feel that there is anything really wrong with reading like this.

I can sample books until I find one that's exactly what I want to read at that moment, speed through it and then find something else to read. (Basically, leaving myself with the same problem all over again.)

But it seems like this helps me truly enjoy the book I'm currently reading - even if a few others might not ever get read because they failed to capture me.

Do you go through this? I'd love to know how you deal with it if you do! Or, are you a strictly monogamous reader? (I know I used to be!) Anyway, I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on this, because I'm not 100% sure how I even feel.

Is this actually good or bad, because I can totally see it being both!