Thursday, May 12, 2016

Video Killed the Radio Star - Or Adult Coloring Books Killed the Reader

It took me a long time to buy into the idea of adult coloring books, but I thought it was a neat idea. The earlier this year I bought a couple and then, like two weeks after that, I got two for my birthday.

That was back in February and I still haven't finished a single picture. None. Part of it is my vision problems because I can't stare at something that long - plus glasses trouble. And, I think some of those designs are impossible to color without bleeding the color over on another part of the picture because some of those sections are tiny. It's crazy.

So I'm just going to say that I tried the adult coloring craze and I am totally not sold.

Then about two weeks ago I went to my local walmart and had some extra time so I thought I'd look at books. (I keep hoping they'll get The Shadow Queen but they haven't yet so they probably won't.)

Walmart has never had a large selection of books. Magazines are on the same shelf and once they're removed, there's probably about twenty to twenty-five feet for books. They've got a section for new releases and they also keep their few audio books there. Then they have religious books - fiction and non-fiction. Then fiction books that are popular, like Clive Cussler and Will Johnson and a few mysteries. Then there's the romance books - they have by far the most of them. Then young adult books and that's where they also keep the middle grade and the manga. Finally, they have a few picture books and books for very young children.

At least, that's how it used to be. Last time I looked in there, I couldn't believe the way adult coloring books had taken over everything. I bet now a full third of their shelves for books are given over to adult coloring books!

They've spilled over into about a half of the new releases, about a third of the popular books and over half of the young adult books. Plus, about a third had already been taken from the romance (I think) for them originally.

Honestly, this depressed me. I mean, I think I saw six or seven YA books total on their shelves. It's gotten to the point where you can't even hardly look for books without the adult coloring books spilling into where your looking.

I wish I had pictures, because I would love to show you how totally not impressed with this I am.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on if you like adult coloring books or not - as well as how your local stores (bookstore or general) have handled this craze.