Monday, May 23, 2016

Five Books That Were Letdowns

I've been inspired by a couple blogs I follow to do a little negativity. So, for this Take Five, I am going to be focusing on five of the biggest book letdowns. These will be books that I wanted to like or thought I would like. (Please note: I did not include sequels on this list. That's another post!)


Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
First of all, look at that cover! How could it be bad? Also, it's about a magic boarding school something that I - well - love! It was supposed to be light and fun and cute and instead it was the book equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard for me. It was such an annoying book and the humor was way off base for me to find amusing.






Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed
Once again, look at that cover! (And I'm beginning to notice a pattern here. I should quit judging books by their cover.) The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, home to djenn and ghuls, holy warriors and heretics, are at the boiling point of a power struggle between the iron-fisted Khalif and the mysterious master thief known as the Falcon Prince. How could this not be a book for me? Well, take a main character that doesn't want to do this and doesn't want to get involved and add in some of the worst sexism I've ever come across in a fantasy book, and Amy is not a very happy camper.


The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
I don't want to say it again, but cover = gorgeous! This book was actually one of two books I bought for myself in 2015 for my birthday. (The other was A Wicked Thing.) And I remember hearing how great this book was, and I was excited to start it and when I finally did it was so...messy. It didn't make a lick of sense, the main character was a doormat and, one of my favorite things, a guy wants to prove that Twylla's touch won't kill him, so he kisses her. You know, right about then, I wished he was wrong and that he'd be expiring slowly on the floor.


Sabriel by Garth Nix
(Nope, not a beautiful cover.) I didn't actually hate this book - mostly because I need to feel more than just general boredom and 'who really cares anymore' to say I hate a book. (And confusion because the world building here confused the hell out of me.) But - and it's a big one - I had such high hopes for this book because it literally feels like everyone loves this book but me.





Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen
(I'm not sure how I feel about this cover!) I wanted this book before it was released. Once I heard all the great things about it, I wanted it even more. Then I was left going 'what in the world?' while I was reading it. Basically, this book is beautiful people - and beautiful trolls (!?) - doing beautiful things. Ugly people are evil. And did I mention that the girl was awesome right up until she fell 'in love' and then her whole world revolves around the guy? Well, she is and it does.





So, there we go, five books that - heheh oops - are mostly all popular that I have to go off and be the black sheep about again and not love. Or even like. So what kind of letdowns do you have? Any of these?