Saturday, April 4, 2015

Fairy Tale Tunes

Thank you so much The Book Rat & A Backwards Story for hosting this.

I don't usually post on the weekends, but I wanted to do a couple of special Fairy Tale Fortnight posts. (And I thought that because they're non-bookish - at least, mostly - that the weekend would be perfect to post them. Besides, my week is filled!)


I love music. Okay, most people do - at least I've never heard anyone say 'oh, I hate music'. Anyway, I wanted to talk about some of the awesome fairy tale music out there. No, I don't mean singing squirrels from Disney (well, sometimes…) - but songs inspired by or blatantly mentioning a certain fairy tale. (Including youtube videos for your listening pleasure.)




Emilie Autumn - Shalott
So, after doing a little research, I'm officially confused. This song is narrated by The Lady of Shalott - who sounds like - though I could find nothing to confirm my theory - it's the basis or inspired itself by Sleeping Beauty. Does anyone know if this is correct and how the original poem relates to the fairy tale? Anyway this is an awesome song with Emilie Autumn in top form.


Paramore - Brick by Boring Brick
Of course I'd have to mention this song. Besides the fact that I love Paramore's music, this is such a catchy song. I'm not sure that they're actually targeting a specific fairy tale. The The Little Pigs are mentioned - but I kind of think this is a riff on Cinderella.


Sara Bareilles - Fairytale
I am incredibly biased, because Sara's my favorite singer, but this is my favorite 'fairy tale' song. It's kind of a cynical, snarky look at it. Please, watch the video. The first time I saw it was while I was putting this list together and I love the video. In the song she references Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel. In the video she covers all them, plus Peter Pan, Aladdin, Little Red Ridding Hood - and probably a bunch that I cannot even recognize. (Is it just my imagination, or is there a reference to Scheherazade too?)


What are your favorite fairy tale inspired/based songs? Am I missing some really good ones?