Monday, August 31, 2015

August Wrap-Up

August was the month of short books. A lot of short books.

The Assassin's Curse by Lindsay Buroker - *****
The Swan Prince by Danielle E. Shipley - **** Thoughts here
The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall - ** - Review: September 2nd


The Dark Deeps by Arthur Slade - DNF - Thoughts here
Cinder by Marissa Meyer - Re-Read for #TLCReadAlong - Thoughts here
The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen - ** - Review: September 9th



Vicious by V.E. Schwab - ** - Review: September 16th
Sandry's Book by Tamora Pierce - ****
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - ****


How To Date A Nerd by Cassie Mae - *** - Thoughts here
Oedipus the King by Sophocles - ** - Thoughts here
A Book of Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes - ***


A Seamless Murder by Melissa Bourbon - ** - Thoughts here
The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury - * - Thoughts here

Books and Blog
I think August was my very own Dog Days of Summer. Not only do I seem to not understand the way time works (or maybe I've finally hit that age that everyone talks about 'time flying' with) but I have gotten very lazy. Even more so that usual. Combine an absolute lack of energy for working on this blog with an internet that works horribly, and I am so glad I had most of my posts ready for the month - otherwise this blog would have probably taken an unintended hiatus.

In My Life
A lot of times I see people posting a weekly update about things that are happening to them away from their blogging life. There's actually a pretty good reason why I don't do this: my life's pretty boring. The average day for me is: get up, eat breakfast, go to work, eat lunch, maybe read if there's nothing else to do, go home, eat supper, read and/or watch TV, go to bed. The I wake up and do it all over. Weekends are almost as boring. Saturdays are the day that I do laundry and clean. Usually spend a lot of time just being lazy. Sundays is shopping day and, besides a little time in the morning reading while my mom's at church, that takes most of the day. See, if you had to read about this every week, I doubt you'd appreciate me updating weekly.


Oh, btw, this month was boring. ;) Summertime, so all I want to do is laze around by my AC. Course, I'm just as lazy in the winter when it's cold outside. Though I'm so happy we're almost done with summer because my allergies have been driving me nuts. I've taken so many Benadryl's this summer it's a wonder I haven't turned pink!

TV & Movies
I have been watching a ton of stuff this month on TV. I finally finished Hiiro no Kakera season 2 and didn't like it at all. Season one was enjoyable enough - mostly because of the main girl. She was awesome in season one but terrible in season two. I also watched season two of A Certain Scientific Railgun…Uh…Didn't enjoy it much because I can't stand the main girl, but it was almost worth it to see the extended version of Toma and Accelerator's fight. Watched InuXBoku: Secret Service and am totally confused at what the show was even supposed to be. I didn't hate it though, so there is that.

On better notes, I watched season 5 of Rizzoli & Isles. While I didn't actually like how predictable the major plot point for the season worked out, the show was as fun as always. I also watched Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue. Not one of my favorite seasons - though the only ranger I had any problems with was the spoiled brat. And I've gotta say, when this season was on, when everything came together, it was nearly perfect. Pity there weren't more moments like that.

I've recently found Falling Skies and I love the show. I've only seen season one so far, but it is so great. I was interested in it when it first came out because of Noah Wyle and I've liked him since his days on ER. But when I started watching it…Not only does it have him in it, but it also has Will Patton and Moon Bloodgood. Definitely was thrilled to see that. I'd put of watching it partially because I was hoping Walmart would get season one in for fifteen bucks - which they did, eventually - but also because alien invasion shows aren't really my thing. I've seen enough of them to know that. Sure, there's a few I liked - especially season one of 1988's War of the Worlds (won't watch season two) - but as a whole? Not my story. So glad I took a chance with this one though.


I rewatched season 3 of Leverage and am in process of rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho (finished season 2 and moved right into season 3.)


I think next month will be the month of a lot of TV shows as most of mine shows are finally getting last seasons release to DVD.

For everyone that started school this month, I hope it started well!