Friday, May 15, 2015

Feeling Fey

There are many ways fey is used - the proper way according to Merriam-Webster is 'feeling doomed'. For me, I've always considered fey to kind of mean 'waiting for the worst'. Especially when something is going really well. It's like everything's so great right now, but you know it's going to get worse and soon.

Well, I've been having a very strong fey feeling. While my life hasn't being going so great, the books I'd been reading are consistently knocking it out of the park (if you'll pardon a baseball metaphor from someone that knows little about the game).

The last six books that I've finished have been great. Four and five star books were all six of them. Even books that I wasn't sure about or that I didn't think would be so good were amazing.

However, this all - as great as it is - has left me feeling anxious. I know I'll come across another one star book. But when? Will it be one I thought I'd love? Should I even read a book I think I'll love now, considering it's probably going to be sooner rather than later that I'll come across a book I don't like? Maybe it's going to be the book I'm reading right now - reading very slowly I might add.

And what if it's that book? (That book that we all have that you've been waiting to get a hold of and now you finally can read it.) (My that book at the moment is Crimson Bound.) I'd hate it to be that book that I dislike.

What I'd like to know is, do you ever feel this way? When you hit an amazing stretch of books, do you ride high, or do you panic and start worrying about the next book being the worst thing you've read in a year? If you don't panic, how do you manage that? And, if you do panic, how do you choose what to read next?