Monday, May 18, 2015

Reader Problems Tag (with gifs)

Thanks so much Elizabeth for this tag that looked like such fun. (I don't usually do such gif heavy posts, but I wanted to add a little color to this. Enjoy!


1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?


I have recently started a TBR jar just to avoid this particularly sticky tangle. Of course, that helps not at all when it comes time to decide which books to buy, borrow or beg next. Then it's kind of a case of 'expected/typical or something new?' which leads to even more trouble.


2. You're halfway through a book and you're just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?


If it's just not loving it, I'm committed. If it's a book I am actively hating, it depends - mostly on if I'm wanting it finish it so I can rant about it. (Seriously, I've finished books just for that reason.) If I'm bored out of my mind and there's nothing specific I want to complain about, I might stop. Though I do hate DNFing books. Leaves me itchy.


3. The end of the year is coming and you're so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?

Swear off tv and computer for two weeks and read three books every five days? I don't know. I've never actually had that problem. I'm always caught up by the end of the year, though if you'd check the first few months, I'd be running behind. ('Cept this year. Yay me!)


4. The covers of a series you love do not match. How do you cope?

Poorly. I want all my books in a series to match. All the same type of cover and binding. All either paperback or hardback. All the same height. If they don't/aren't, it's somewhat…stressful. I've got this one series where I own the first three books. Well, books one and two are the US edition but the third is the UK edition, so they are different heights, different width and even look different from the spine. It's painful.


5. Everyone and their mothers love a book you really don't like. Who do you bond with over their shared feelings?

I'm a rebel. Seriously, it's happened. I find people I don't even know that wrote scathing reviews, write my own and move on. Trying to act like I never even read the book. (Except for those random moments that make me feel like ol' Hulk up there.)


6. You're reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?

That's never actually happened to me. For the few books that have brought on the tears, thankfully I've been locked (not literally) in my room during those parts. If it happened, I'd probably just stop reading. That'll work, right?


7. A sequel of a book you love just came out, but you've forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?

Probably just go ahead and read the sequel. Most likely remembering stuff about the first book as I go. Then I might promise myself to re-read the original, but chances are I'll get distracted before ever getting there. Sometimes, when I first start the second book, I cannot even remember who the people are and...well considering I read a lot of fantasy, that's always such a fun re-learning curve.


8. You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people no when they ask?

In truth, the only reason I wouldn't lend a book out is because of the way that person treated things they borrowed from me before. In that case, I don't feel the need to be polite. You don't treat my stuff nice, you don't get to borrow my stuff. (See all those books? Yeah, I'm not lending them.)


9. Reading ADD. You've picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?

I can't say I wouldn't do it, but I've never had five books started at the same time before. My limit is usually three, and only when one is difficult to get through and another is an audio book. When in reading slumps, I tend to go for shorter, lighter books, but beyond that - anything is up for grabs. Sometimes, I just need a break from reading and won't hardly touch any books for a week or two. (Sometimes I read fan fiction, too.)


10. There are so many new books coming out that you're dying to read! How many do you actually buy?

Most of the books I read, I buy. A few I can borrow and I'm going to be using my library's ebook borrowing program (for the few books they have that I'm interested in, anyway). I usually try to limit myself to a couple new books each month - and only then if they're something I'm dying for. If I can wait, I do and can usually get them cheaper used.


11. After you've bought the new books you can't wait to get to, how long they sit on your shelf before you get to them?

Completely depends on the book. If it's one I want in a very 'I want to read you eventually so I'll buy you now so you don't get shoved to the back of my list' way, it might take awhile. However if it's the 'I want it! I've been waiting for this book for two years!' kind of want, chances are I'll get to it within a couple of weeks. (Yes, there are books like this. In fact, I sounded so pathetic that when I thought Rhune by Michael J. Sullivan wasn't releasing until 2017, my mom had to come ask what was wrong. Since then, I've found out that it releases next summer. That's a little better, anyway.)


I tag everyone that's wearing green socks today. (Did I make you look?) Nah, I tag everyone that wants to do this. It was a lot of fun, hope you enjoy.