Friday, May 22, 2015

Is Your Blog A Secret?

The idea for this topic came to me when I realized that I've had my blog for over a year, and it's only been in the past couple months that I told anyone about it. I was talking to my mom (who happens to be my boss) about setting up a website for her business. We were talking about something and I mentioned that I looked it up for my blog. "Yeah, I've got a blog," I said. "Oh, what do you blog?" she asked. "Books," - of course. Then she asked me "does anyone blog you?" I mean, I love my mom, but sometimes I have no idea what she's even talking about.

Anyway, it's not like I'm embarrassed that I have a blog. Never that. But it's for me. I know that if my family knew about it and could read it whenever they wanted, then I'd feel differently about it. I'm really a different person on the internet than I am around most people. I think the only person that gets the full brunt of my weirdness in person is my brother with my mom running a close-ish second. (The former of which I don't think reads books and the latter of which only likes squeaky-clean books.)

I'm a bit shy and terrible at small talk but on my blog, I really feel like I can be myself. I also am slowly reaching a point where I don't feel judged by my readers/other bloggers. (Yeah, I know, this is all in my head because most of you are way too nice to be like that. But I still feel it.)

I've heard from some people how their family/friends are involved in their blog (like guest posts) and from others where no one even knows they have a blog.

How about you? Would you consider your blog a secret? Or do you scream from the rooftops? Maybe you're like me and don't consider your blog a secret - but don't talk about it either?