Friday, May 29, 2015

#TBRtakedown Readathon

Running from June 1st through the 7th.

So, I just heard about this yesterday. As soon as I saw it though, I knew it was something I'd have to do. I feel like I've got enough books to swim in. Or maybe fill one of those old bounce houses. (And that conjures up a very strange mental image.) Anyway, this readathon is being hosted over at youtube by leaninglights. You can find the video here. I'll be drawing a few more books (probably four) over this weekend from my TBR jar to add to my June reading after I finish (hopefully, successfully) this readathon. (Five books in seven days sounds like a pretty tall order for me, but that's what makes it a challenge!)

There's five challenges - however, my brain started to go all 'does not compute' on me because there's just too many choices for some of these. So, I changed things around a bit and added two of my own challenges to it.

A book that's been on your TBR shelf for over a year:


I don't think I've had any of my books quite that long. Really, it's only been since January that I've been buying like I'm rich. (Which I'm not. And after all these books, I never will be.) So I decided to go with one of about three books that's I've had since last year and still not read. And I really want to because it sounds just perfect.

An unread sequel sitting on you TBR:


Okay, so I originally was going with a different book. But this one will take less time to read (which is good for a readathon, right?) and I want to read it just as badly! I bought it as soon as it hit paperback (March!) and still haven't made time for it.

An 'out of your comfort zone' book on your TBR shelf:


Soo...You basically want anything that is not fantasy or steampunk? Or Christian historical romance? Hmm... Well, I'm going to act like I didn't know what it was going to be. As soon as I heard this topic though, I went 'that' book. You see, I've been wanting to read some sci-fi. Rather, some more sci-fi because the few that I have read turned out...badly. Here's to hoping this one finally puts sci-fi on the map for me. (And that it is not as romance-y as that cover looks.) (And, no, the previous book totally doesn't count because I'm talking space opera-y books, not far future sci-fi.)

A book published before 1990 that's sitting on your shelf:
(My own addition.)


Originally this was supposed to be something like 'first in a series' (which this totally is too!) but my brain just wouldn't work when it started looking at all the books that I could read. There is, after all, a reason I started a TBR Jar. (Because I cannot make up my mind. 'I have nothing to read' is my version of 'I have nothing to wear'.) Anyway, I've been wanting to give some of Eddings earlier work a shot.

A book that was published last year that's on your shelf:
And this was supposed to be 'a book from your last haul'. Well, I didn't want to do that. I mean, none of those books have been on my shelf for long and, besides, I haven't a clue which one I'd choose. (What's really crazy is that most of the books I thought about reading were on Kindle. So that won't work.) Anyway, I chose this one because I really want to read it and the next one in the series releases on the 9th. I'd love to have this book read by then or shortly after so I know if that one's something I want to buy.


So, these are the books I'll be trying to get to. Honestly, I think it's doable, but it might be a bit of a struggle. I'd love to hear from you about any of these books and/or if you're participating in the readathon!